tricks for removing 850 front shocks?

dnudelman

True Classic
I'm removing shocks, lower 17mm nut seems frozen on shock mounting stud. Tried some heat, now soaking in aerokroil. Not a lot of clearance. Any other suggestions like removing the spindle to access it with an impact wrench?
Thanks
David

As I have never taken mine off (I do need new shocks on mine) I can’t really say for sure.

As you likely need to replace the rubber bushes on the suspension arms, the top one in the knuckle and the one in the eye of the leaf spring taking the knuckle off is likely a worthwhile thing to do in any case.

Worse comes to worst you can sawsall the stud off the body of the tube.

Now with everything off you can clean, derust and then paint everything to perfection before putting it all back together with your fresh shocks. Also things I need to do on mine.

Out of curiosity do you know if your steering system was updated with the recall parts? The recall put a jointed steering column in to replace the straight tube which in an accident would stab the driver. There is one of the recall kits on Ebay right now (I have one to put in but have not done so, I picked it up nearly 20 years ago).

Out of curiosity do you know if your steering system was updated with the recall parts? The recall put a jointed steering column in to replace the straight tube which in an accident would stab the driver. There is one of the recall kits on Ebay right now (I have one to put in but have not done so, I picked it up nearly 20 years ago).

The "killer javelin" straight-column shafts were mainly on the Series 1 850 Coupe. A '70's-era USA 850 Sport Coupe like David's would usually already have the U-jointed steering column "update" as stock from the factory.

I'm removing shocks, lower 17mm nut seems frozen on shock mounting stud. Tried some heat, now soaking in aerokroil. Not a lot of clearance. Any other suggestions like removing the spindle to access it with an impact wrench?

Easiest way to loosen an extra-stubborn lower shock nut is to remove the whole spindle assembly from the car, mount said assembly in a bench vise, & after a thorough soaking in aerokroil/PBBlaster/etc., hit the nut with an impact wrench/socket (if you have room). Or use a standard ratchet (1/2" is best for this job) with a long handle (breaker bar) on the nut, while a partner keeps the shock from spinning by holding the lower shock body with a long wrench (sometimes there's a "flat" at the shock base just before the threaded shaft) or a pipe wrench/Channel-Locks around the serrated edge of the shock base.

The time & aggravation you save by having full access in a vise vs. trying to do this lying on the floor under the car is often well worth the effort! ;)

The "killer javelin" straight-column shafts were mainly on the Series 1 850 Coupe. A '70's-era USA 850 Sport Coupe like David's would usually already have the U-jointed steering column "update" as stock from the factory.

Good to know. My’69 was not the updated design from the factory.

Back