Tuning adjustment for performance mods.

And with those changes, how does it feel different from before? Any logging for the AFR?

Is the Volvo knock sensor system very aggressive in knocking back timing? Would it be better to use a normally aspirated system like VW's that they used on the 9A twincam or similar? I would think a system tuned for a NA engine would be less aggressive in knocking back the timing and more willing to move it back up. Just a thought.

Could it be the placement of your knock sensors or is that a non issue as its looking for a particular frequency? Lots I don't know about knock sensing systems...but willing to learn.

Yes, it does feel much better now, just need to refine the timing. I cannot log AFR.

The ignition control does not pull that much timing, it can do it in small increments or larger amounts, I just don't recall offhand. I'll need to check the manual for exact numbers. It is an NA setup - the turbo version actually has less advance & much more fueling.

The placement of the knock sensor may be an issue. I used the oil pressure port, maybe it's not registering the frequency properly in that location. I haven't had any error codes for knock malfunction, but if it's just not recognizing that knock exists, that's a problem. I'm going to attach a 'det can' to the motor & listen for knock while testing under 'spirited' driving conditions - I have some sweeping mountain roads near me that are perfect for load testing without going too fast..

Current mapping, took just a lttle off the upper load cells.

X19_LH24_00132c.png

Last edited:
The placement of the knock sensor may be an issue. I used the oil pressure port, maybe it's not registering the frequency properly in that location."

Too close to the head and the sensor picks up on lots of valve noise.

I used the block drain hole for the sensor. Of course that means I have to remove the sensor to drain the block.

Paul Dacock

Thanks, Paul! I'll work with that. Do you recall what thread the drain is? Metric pipe thread like the pipes in the T/stat housing?

Got a VDO sender with 14x1.5 pitch thread

X19_0006d.jpg

....so I could take out the 1/8" npt 5bar, and use that for fuel pressure.

took out the coolant drain - it's 1/8th NPT - so I took a 1/8th fitting and drilled & tapped it for the M8x1.25 knock sensor bolt

X19_0001a.jpg

run in with loctite pipe sealant

X19_0003.jpg

cut off head, & flushed with block surface

X19_0002.jpg

knock sensor in place

X19_0001.jpg

harness sheathed

X19_0003a.jpg

secured to prevent possible interaction with the axle

X19_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Dang, you got wires going to your wires...is that a temp sensor for the oil in the bottom of the pan?

Hopefully this will 'hear' better. Looking forward to where this goes. Good luck

Dang, you got wires going to your wires...is that a temp sensor for the oil in the bottom of the pan?

Hopefully this will 'hear' better. Looking forward to where this goes. Good luck

Indeed! Gauges for Oil pressure & idiot light, oil temp and now fuel pressure.

I should be able to test drive it this afternoon & see if it registers any knock in the area I thought I heard it - after that I'll hook up a det can to the plugged oil port & have I listen via head phones

Started on the console for 4 gauges in the center - unfortunately they are not all the same brand - oh well.

X19_0006.jpg

X19_0006a.jpg

X19_0006b.jpg

Last edited:
Gauges placed.

X19_0006c.jpg

Did the extra wiring for the voltmeter & the backlighting in the Volvo gauges. Not sure I can live with the white face autometer OP after all....

X19_0006e.jpg

Last edited:
Back