Turbo lag

Janis

True Classic
Again just thinking loud to get approval that am not mistaken.
At first calculator I filled my car’s data
1600cc
1.12bar
2000rpm
85% volumetric efficiency
=~2800 liters per minutes

On the second calculator I again filled data
0bar at the beginning
1.12 bar in the end
Capacity of the system 10 liters
Amount of the flow needed to fill the system is theoretically 0.24 seconds.

This could be true.

Sooo if I would bring Intercooler to the front. For example 45mm ID for the pipes I would use. So this would need extra 5 meters of pipes. It means extra 8 liters for the system.
18 liters of the system would need 0.44 sec to get 1.12bar at 2800 l/min rate.

Is 0.44 sec considered as lag?

I doubt that is correct. I would expect those long pipes to cause a lot more lag. Less than half a second you will not notice, but with long pipes you definitely will notice the difference - so much more than half second.

I'm not sure how to actually calculate it with those programs.

To reduce your intake temperature I think you will be better off with a larger capacity intercooler than moving the one you have to the front of the car. Granted the larger IC will add a little lag time, but not nearly as much as the pipes to the front will. Doing both, a large IC with pipes to mount it at the front will make the most lag, and really doesn't make a lot of sense.

I've seen data on IC efficiency, maybe see what you can find online to help determine the best size IC for your needs.

If I’ll find a simple way to enlarge existing system by ~8 liters then difference of lag will be easy to calculate from from this video.
In the video are 3 accelerations with fully opened throttle in 5th gear.
1. From 60kmh ~2200rpm full boost reached at ~2450rpm
2. From 80kmh ~2700rpm to ~2780
3. From 100kmh ~3200rpm to ~3300rpm

Boost gauge is mechanical so ~1.5m long small pipe may affect actual response, but all that is interesting for me is difference of time to fill the system to 1.12bar, if capacity of the system would be bigger.

Hope that this is interesting for You as well :)

If moving the IC to the front I believe water to air is a better option. If you need a bigger air to air, a twin IC might be the answer. Just like Johannes Graversen did it:
Graverden1.jpg

I'm curious, is he blowing through twin carbs?
No, it is an UT. But I agree it looks strange. Seems like there is two intake pipes (and two throttle bodies?) connected to plenum.
Probably the best race X on the planet.
Another pic.
1620918590005.png

And the car itself is awesome
1620918711687.png

Impressing to say the least

No, it is an UT. But I agree it looks strange. Seems like there is two intake pipes (and two throttle bodies?) connected to plenum.
Probably the best race X on the planet.
Another pic.
View attachment 47111

And the car itself is awesome
View attachment 47112
Impressing to say the least
I see the intake layout now. Mechanical fuel injection with what appears to be a pair of slide valve throttles, definitely a race car. I've seen this car in videos and pictures of it from the outside (like the last pic you posted), but never the engine. Quite the creation. ;)

Back