Turn signals not working except initial flash

Austin

Daily Driver
Previous owner mentioned that turn signals aren't working, and testing today showed that when first switched on (either direction), the dash indicator lights for a brief moment then goes out and stays off.

Fuse is good, as other functions on same circuit work. Is there a relay I can't readily find?

Suggestions welcome.

My guess would be the flasher relay (usally a round metal can)

with nothing on and it quiet. make it blink the once if you hear a click. track that down it will be flasher that is causing the click.

Check the bulbs and grounds too. One bulb out per side can cause that on the dash indicator but one outside bulb will still be flashing. Usually it will just be one side but with Fiat electrical it's possible something is not making contact. As Rod said the flasher unit is a round metal can usually mounted near the steering colum in a spring loaded clip.

On all 5 of the x1/9's I have messed with the flashers was in the fuse pannel (above the passenger feet)

There's nothing above the passengers feet in the 850 Spider except the glovebox tray. ;)

The flasher units in 850's are pretty robust & last quite a while, but of course, anything can wear out.

I've found that the "flash-once-then-stop" event is usually a short in 1 (or more) of the turn-signal units, most often either a burned-out bulb or corrosion on the bulbs' base contacts. Remove the lens, pull out a bulb, clean the contacts with light sandpaper or a (garnet-type) fingernail file, then reinstall. Repeat until offending bulb is found & problem is fixed.

oh sorry thought we were talking x1/9. But the finding it part should be the same. locaiton's vary.

: smiles :

Back