Typical NH Early Evening Cruise

geekdaddy

X1/9 Learner's Permit...
I've got a traffic cam installed in my X and it's always recording. Was out for a spin last night as it was just starting to get a little dark. This is a typical local drive for me. The video under-states the rolling and curvy terrain. I love driving my X here although the speed limit is typically only 30-40mph on these roads -- so even our low HP exxies can break the law in just a few mins. Anyhow thought I would share this one with you all.

Love this! Reminds me of drives I used to take in TN. I'm interested in the camera setup you used to make your video. Any chance you could share the details of your setup? I'm not to thrilled about springing for the GoPro if I could make videos like this with a simple traffic cam and keep them on an SD card.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your nice ride. Cheers.
Mike

Dan -- YES! Those are tritium vials on my levers. It's just getting dark but you can still see them. At night they are very visible and helpful. I love 'em.
Engleme -- I use a fairly inexpensive Abarella based camera from eBay and then printed a bracket for it so it mounts to my rear glass. Mine was purchased a year ago and is similar to this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-0805-F...G-Senor-FUS-/131873641127?hash=item1eb44812a7

I also ran power up to the targa (inside) and powered a 12v to 5v adapter with a USB output since most of these cameras use a mini-USB or micro-USB to power them. I'll take some pics and post them later for you!

More info on my camera setup. See pics below (sorry they're a little fuzzy). I had to 3D print a bracket for it since the camera angle options for the mounting points are designed for the windshield (not back glass). I can share the file on thingiverse and include the link here if anyone wants it. To power the camera, I ran 12V off my auxiliary fuse panel and switched it on/off with the ignition on signal and powered a USB adapter tucked inside the targa bar like the one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-12V-T...685438?hash=item3f6d00723e:g:JegAAOSw8gVX~z0f

The camera I use is kinda cool because it comes with a "dock" that contains a GPS receiver and stays permanently mounted with a power connection.
If I'm in a public place with the top off and will be out of sight of my vehicle for awhile I just slide the camera off the doc and stick it in my pocket. When I return I just reconnect it to the doc. No need to fumble with a power connector each time. ...and the GPS data is embedded in the video which is cool.

20170615_084102.jpg 20170615_084134.jpg

nice idea on the USB. So this is a dash cam specific camera? I have a Garmin Virb & a GoPro I can use for cycling (many of my cyclist colleagues run them all the time for the same reason I suppose people do dash cams, I used mine for racing & later figuring out what I did wrong or right...). I like the idea of that as an easy option to insert in a car. Thanks for sharing the video & the setup info.

Oh, the roads remind me of home (TN) !

Thanks for the details. Really nice! Love the USB charging conversion so it stays in the car. I'm. Looking to put something like this in for mountain drives. Cheers. Mike

Back