I was wondering how safe the recovered pics were. Are the ones that show in the thread now saved on the Xweb server - preserved for all time?

• I think the recovered postimg pictures in the original threads will only exist here on Xweb if postimg continues to host them and doesn't alter their link addresses again.
  • My testing of the PDF files indicated that the pictures shown in the original thread were "printed" to the PDF. I believe those small copies of the pictures will remain in the PDF forever.
  • If you poke one of the small copies of the pictures in your local copy of the PDF, the link to the larger picture hosted at postimg will pop up. As above, this behavior should continue to function as long ad postimg continues to host them and doesn't alter their link addresses.

I think the recovered postimg pictures in the original threads will only exist here on Xweb if postimg continues to host them and doesn't alter their link addresses again.
I see. I wasn't sure if they were linked or actually loaded on Xweb like when I post a pic (if that makes any sense). I get it now.

If you poke one of the small copies of the pictures in your local copy of the PDF, the link to the larger picture hosted at postimg will pop up.
I just looked at my copy of the PDF, you are right it gives a link. I had the same thought as above.

"PostImage" is the hosting site I had been using for some time in order to load pics to another forum I occasionally visit. That forum doesn't allow the direct posting of pics like Xweb now does. However PostImage recently changed their format and I can no longer load my pics to that other forum with it. Previously it was a nice, easy to use, free hosting site. I suspect they will continue to change more and more along the lines of PB.

Interesting. I printed the 2 existing pages to PDF files in an attempt to save what exisits today. I was surprised that the links to postimg work inside the PDF. I hope that doesn't mean the PDF can end up pictureless if postimg goes the way of Photobucket. I will need to see what the PDFs look like if I disconnect my PC from my network.

For now, I have attached the PDFs for storage here on Xweb.

UPDATE: I pulled the plug on my ethernet connection to test the PDFs saved locally on my PC. The small pictures still appear in the PDF, but the links to the larger copies of the pictures on postimg fail. So that is good news, it appears if you download a copy of the PDFs, you will see the thread content as it was when I created the file.

MANY THANKS !!!

I'm waiting for someone to sell print versions of this, with pics....for those of us who think the "help" button actually helps.

I've always thought that Steve's write up, along with many others on such topics as rebuilding the X trans or doing the pedal box/hydraulic systems or the brown wire mod, could be cleaned up/edited and make a nice "owners guide to the X1/9" book. Examples of this have been done by the BMW and Porsche owners clubs, where they compiled a stack of articles from their newsletters or club tech files. They include not only large repair guides but also all the common mods and upgrades that make those vehicles more enjoyable to own, as well as tips for emergency repairs, etc. Those books are hugely popular and often considered better than any factory manual. We have something like that on the forum, but I'm talking about compiling all of it together in a organized, edited, printed version like Carl describes. Not for the sake of making any profit, but to offer a useful guide that can be carried in the car and referenced in the garage.

I'm waiting for someone to sell print versions of this, with pics....for those of us who think the "help" button actually helps.

You would need to approach Steve about formalizing the content.

Is there any reason why the linked photos can't be downloaded and inserted into the pdf file where they belong using Adobe Acrobat or some other program? Better yet, if the source document is available, they could be inserted into it, and then output the whole thing as a pdf containing all the photos with no links necessary.

Somewhere on an old hard drive, I have a pdf with all the photos. I stay on our farm an hour away, but it happens I'm going to the house today. I'll see if I can dredge up an old computer that can read IDE hard drives and look for the file.

JimD, I suppose you should give me advice on whether it's going to be OK to upload it. I realize it was already posted in the forum, but...

Somewhere on an old hard drive, I have a pdf with all the photos. I stay on our farm an hour away, but it happens I'm going to the house today. I'll see if I can dredge up an old computer that can read IDE hard drives and look for the file.

JimD, I suppose you should give me advice on whether it's going to be OK to upload it. I realize it was already posted in the forum, but...
Sure Ernie, if you can find it, upload it.

An update. So far, I've found a file that has a last post date of September 16, 2013. I might have uploaded it sooner, but knowing posts on this subject continued for years after that date I continued to search for a later file.

Today, I reviewed the forum posts and realize I probably wasn't interested enough in the follow up info. By that time I had reworked DOHC and SOHC heads for my own use so I'm thinking I never bothered to archive any updates. BTW, great results everytime thanks to the info freely provided by Steve.

So, here's the file:

Attachments

• ultimate_sohc_engine_xweb_forums.pdf
    720.9 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
I'm about to finish my current work contract (I was offered a part time job last November for 3 weeks and it turned into a full-time gig for almost a year) so as from late October 2022 I'll have quite a bit of free time and I'll back to being home full time and selling spare parts.

One job I plan to get to, is a re-write and update of this thread ... however with all the added posts (which in the beginning I kindly asked people not to post here) won't allow me to edit as I want to, and the moderators don't seem to like the idea of removing these added posts for some reason.

So, unless the additional posts are removed, this means I'll be removing this thread (or at least my posts) and starting another for version 2.0 so I can collate and index it properly. It's had over 100k views in the 9 years since I began it, and I'd like to complete it to the point where it's able to be published. So if you see sections disappear, don't worry as it will just mean the re-write is underway.

SteveC

I'm about to finish my current work contract (I was offered a part time job last November for 3 weeks and it turned into a full-time gig for almost a year) so as from late October 2022 I'll have quite a bit of free time and I'll back to being home full time and selling spare parts.

One job I plan to get to, is a re-write and update of this thread ... however with all the added posts (which in the beginning I kindly asked people not to post here) won't allow me to edit as I want to, and the moderators don't seem to like the idea of removing these added posts for some reason.

So, unless the additional posts are removed, this means I'll be removing this thread (or at least my posts) and starting another for version 2.0 so I can collate and index it properly. It's had over 100k views in the 9 years since I began it, and I'd like to complete it to the point where it's able to be published. So if you see sections disappear, don't worry as it will just mean the re-write is underway.

SteveC
Hey Steve,

if you do intend to rewrite it I'd suggest a wiki page would be a better format and will be much easier to maintain in the long term. Let me know if you need a hand...

Cheers,
Dom.

Would be great to have the pic links fixed - I recall when I was going back & forth with the porting that was an issue.

An hyperlink index on the first page would be great also - makes it much easier to navigate a lengthy thread.

Back