Uno turbo cams 1.3 vs 1.4 in a mk1

myronx19

True Classic
Hi all turbo people..

I'm working away on my uno engine - finally.. Just getting things ready to go to the machine shop.

I have a 1.3L cam and a 1.4L cam. My understanding is that running the 1.4L cam in the Mk1 engine is the better choice (it's higher lift). Stock injection and control, except the boost will be tweaked up a notch. Stock rebuilt IHI turbo on a fresh engine..

Is the 1.4L Mk2 cam the better choice for the Mk1? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Can't wait.. PS - I'm not convinced that the side scoops will do enough for the intercooler. Hmm.. (Properly ducted)

cams and duckting...

Hi.

The 1.4 should be a better cam, however a stock FI cam is very close to a performance cam for both cars. Something to think about.

To increase the airflow to make a difference on the intercooler, make sure the webbing on the back of the air scoop has been removed. The vertical slats stay, but the webing behind them blocks a huge amount of air.

I remove it on mine and can see dramatic difference in the charge going from the turbo and from the intercooler.

Thanks Eric,

I'd love to go for a ride in your X1/9, that's for sure.. and certainly I'd love to know more about it. I've been putting off this project for far too long.

I think I'll start with the 1.4L cam, but I'll compare the timing to the FI and compare it. I've already got the 1.4L cam, so if the FI cam is better.. then well, I'd try that.. I want it to have a decent power band, and while the OE setup is good, it can always be better.. which isn't always easy to do of course.

On air flow - yes, that's what I plan to do - I'll try it out, measure with an anemometer and see how much better it flows. I'll create a complete enclosure for the front side of the intercooler. From what I've read, you only need 1/3 of the total front surface of the IC as a duct to feed it air, but that's for a FMIC - might be a little tricky with a side scoop.. but I'll try it out.

How do you like your turbo?

It is a blast.

Even at stock settings it is a noticeable improvement. Crank up the boost (1bar and under) and wow.

The really surprising part was how much more fuel efficient it is. People think I am crazy, but I am getting 40mph out of mine. I will be curious if you get the same results.

Did you also get the transmission as well?

Another fun fact, you don't need a muffler. The turbo more than does its share of keeping things quite. At least until you get up around 7k then it barks nicely...

Hi Eric,

No, I didn't opt for the UnoT transmission. I didn't really see the benefit, as I figured the shorter gears in the X1/9 might prove to be a lot of fun to launch with - but 1st will be VERY short.. I originally had a Strada final drive in my X1/9 GT race car, and changed it back to the OE final - much better, but I never used 1st on the track.

How about yourself? I didn't realize that the unoT flywheel has a different number of teeth - which would make my reduction gear starter kind of useless unless I can get a different drive gear for it. And yes, I'll need to cut a hole into my transmission casing for the sensor.

Good to know about the muffler - as that's something I'll need to address. I'll be using a catalytic converter, so that may prove to make things more quiet as well - until the wastegate is open.

Sadly it won't be until summer of 2015 that this thing will be ready to go.. too many other projects :(

The 1.4 is def. a better choice,has more lift,than the 1.3 item. If i am correct,the 1.4 racing cam is the same as the Punto GT1 i am using currently, 9.5mm lift on intake, 8.8 on ex.

Running well and doing plenty of power,still on low boost.
My uno turbo was fun also with stock engine,turbo etc,boost turned up to 1.2 bar. I found some old paper,the Uno Tie was designed to run 1 bar boost,but was too powerful for the markets.

Gearbox.

I made the mistake of trying to use the uno turbo flywheel. It didn't work so well, the starter teeth barely made contact with the wheel.

However, the gear set was a big difference, it transformed the car into a really comfortable long distance cruiser... Here is a great example of me at speed on a highway.

I use to run closer to 4,200 rpm at 70...

The only problem I have had was my own fault. I was at an autocross running a large tire in the rear with soft springs. Both tires contacted the wheel well and the thing which gave up was my input shaft... Stripped the teeth clean off.

Here is me fixing the entire thing...

In the car

And my 74...

Hope this gets you motivated!

Yikes Eric........!

.....Both tires contacted the wheel well and the thing which gave up was my input shaft... Stripped the teeth clean off.

..now that must have been SOME MIGHTY kinda tyre lockup - to strip all those input shaft gear teeth off! :eyepop:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Sorry - I missed this thread.

I hope the attached helps

As radics1 posted the Punto 1.4 (Mk II Uno ) cam is indeed 9.5mm lift

I am not 100% up on the US Spec EFI 1500 lumpy stick but lift is only part of the concideration. The profile is worth concidering and attached for your concideration.

IMHO choose the 1.4 GT/Uno MkII Cam

Shoot me down and iluminate my understanding but I understood valve overlap is something altogether different if a Turbo is forcing induction.

Sorry I don't have the English version, so Bablefish is you freind.

Cheers

Sandy

Punto_Cam_Profile.jpg
[/url]
free uploader[/IMG]

screen shot pc

Thanks guys - good useful information.

* Eric - your turbo setup looks great! Thanks for sharing the pics.. I raided your photobucket and saw some other useful pics - including the sensor location for the flywheel. I've read that the tooth count is different on the uno vs. X1/9 starter ring gear, and I don't see how that matters.. i don't think the sensor has the capability to detect tooth count, I just think it senses the flywheel is turning. I'll probably use the X1/9 flywheel.

Sorry your transmission got so messed up.. wow.. I'll try it out with the original X1/9 transmission and hope 1st gear isn't stupidly short once the boost kicks in.. ;)

heh.. I bought this engine in 2005 and it's been on the engine stand ever since.. so I guess 10 years later, it'll be finally ready! haha!!

Back