Uno60s gearbox mod or buy gearbox

motodoug

Low Mileage
Hi All,
I am a new member to this forum.
I live in central Portugal where it's not easy finding parts for a MK1 uno.

Firstly i own a Fiat uno 60s from the year 1987, fitted with a 1116cc sohc engine and a 4 speed gearbox.
I have had this car for 30 years now and i am handing it over to my son, but the problem is that the gearbox
is not good.
The reverse gear is badly worn and some of the synchros are worn also the bearings.

Do any of you know if there are any mods to fit a different MK2 box 4 or 5 speed ?
I know i will need to change the starter flywheel and clutch , and possibly the starter motor.

Or has anybody got a 128 or uno gearbox,that will fit the 1116cc engine.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers Doug

Attachments

• Fiat uno 1987 gearbox.jpg
    Fiat uno 1987 gearbox.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20210228_140108.jpg
    IMG_20210228_140108.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 279
Welcome to the Forum, glad to have you here!

Honestly, it would probably be easier for you to source the bad gears and replace them. The drive shafts between the 4 speed and 5 speed are very different and you would basically need the front uprights from the 5 speed to make it all work. We are happy to help you find parts. Let us know if you need more info on this or would like to see the 5 speed info.

Doug,have a look on subito.it (the leader classified ads site in italy), you should be able to found what you are looking for; if i remember well, the UNO 60 in italy were all 5 speeds, though..

Welcome to the Forum, glad to have you here!

Honestly, it would probably be easier for you to source the bad gears and replace them. The drive shafts between the 4 speed and 5 speed are very different and you would basically need the front uprights from the 5 speed to make it all work. We are happy to help you find parts. Let us know if you need more info on this or would like to see the 5 speed info.
Thanks for you help

Thanks for you help
Hi,
Can you please help me, i can buy a 5 speed gearbox as the atachment.it's from the year 1991.
I know i will have to fit a different starter motor and flywheel, as the starter motor will now be at the back of the engine.
I will have to mod the drive shafts, do you have any info on the distances between the bell housing bolt holes.
I have sent a attachment to show you what i mean.

My best regards
Doug

Attachments

• img20210304_13102326.pdf
    263.4 KB · Views: 133
The bolt pattern for the Uno to the Uno Turbo should be the exact same. For example, I can bolt up the Uno Turbo gear box to an 1300cc 128 engine with no modification. While I don't have an Uno Turbo transmission sitting, I do have an older 4 speed 128 transmission which I can measure if you need it. The mounting bolt locations are the same.

Let me know.

Hi just wanted to question are you looking for a top loader gearbox or a bottom loader- the 128 is a bottom loader (selection lever comes in from the bottom) the Uno box in NZ are mainly (with the odd exception) top loader gearboxes with the cable set up rather than the rods of the 128.

The bolt pattern for the Uno to the Uno Turbo should be the exact same. For example, I can bolt up the Uno Turbo gear box to an 1300cc 128 engine with no modification. While I don't have an Uno Turbo transmission sitting, I do have an older 4 speed 128 transmission which I can measure if you need it. The mounting bolt locations are the same.

Let me know.
Hi,

If you can give me the measurements from the 4 speed that would be great.
Many thanks

Hi just wanted to question are you looking for a top loader gearbox or a bottom loader- the 128 is a bottom loader (selection lever comes in from the bottom) the Uno box in NZ are mainly (with the odd exception) top loader gearboxes with the cable set up rather than the rods of the 128.
Hi,
I am looking for a bottom loader, but if i have to i will use a top loader.
I am thinking of using a gearbox from a Lancia delta 1.3 series2 from 1993.
And then do the mods on the gear linkages, and see if i can make a better and smoother gear change.

Thanks
Doug

probably a gearbox from a fiat ritmo 60 (the motor is the 1116cc) should fit the UNO..i dont know exactly, but it's the same motor, same era..i searched on subito.it, and there is something, of course shipping from italy will cost some money for a 40kg item.. maebe around 100 eu, and it's anyway an used box..

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, i have tried to find the Ritmo 60 box and thats just as hard to find as the uno 60.
Here in Portugal it is nearly impossible to find any thing to fit the 1116cc.

thanks again
All the best Doug

Hi All,
I am a new member to this forum.
I live in central Portugal where it's not easy finding parts for a MK1 uno.

Firstly i own a Fiat uno 60s from the year 1987, fitted with a 1116cc sohc engine and a 4 speed gearbox.
I have had this car for 30 years now and i am handing it over to my son, but the problem is that the gearbox
is not good.
The reverse gear is badly worn and some of the synchros are worn also the bearings.

Do any of you know if there are any mods to fit a different MK2 box 4 or 5 speed ?
I know i will need to change the starter flywheel and clutch , and possibly the starter motor.

Or has anybody got a 128 or uno gearbox,that will fit the 1116cc engine.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers Doug
the pictures show a top change transmission, so a trans from a 128 isnt going to fit.

the key is the year, 1987. Uno models after about sept 1986 are known as R86 models (R for Revisone - revision) and even though techncally a mk 1 in looks, uses a lot of mk2 components.

the parts you need , reverse gear idler, 1/2 sliding hub and the bearings are all readily available. The reverse idler gear is the 18mm ID hole type the same as almost all ritmo/regata etc etc, same with the 1/2 sliding hub, the bearings are very standard so you should have no problem finding these..

The 1993 delta trans should fit as long as it's from a 1.3 and not a 1.5, as the 1.5 uses a different / larger 190mm clutch and a different starter motor (the same as the difference between 4 and 5 speed X19's). the axle boots are different, and perhaps it uses the larger sized tripode joint, so not insurmountable differences, but more parts you need to buy to do the job this way.

BUT any secondhand transmission is always a gamble, unless you can start / drive the car it comes from... so IMO you'd be best repairing your old trans (better the devil you know than the devil you don't)

SteveC

Back