upholstered X19 dashboard

Janis

True Classic
Has anyone upholstered dashboard on x19 or have any pictures?
Can’t decide yet to make custom dashboard or make a cover for existing, time spent on both would be similar.

I recall there have been some threads with various dash restoration ideas. Things like "flocking", texture coatings, and covering with different materials. One wasn't that long ago and I believe it involved recovering with leather(?). But I don't have any links for those old threads. Hopefully someone else does.

Material I have, similar to Alcantara is not so flexible as alcantara, almost unflexible :/
a lot of seams to a lazy person that means

Mike had the dash of the Fiat spider they flipped on Wheeler Dealers leather covered; perhaps that's what you remember?

Mike had the dash of the Fiat spider they flipped on Wheeler Dealers leather covered; perhaps that's what you remember?
I believe you were responding to me? If so then no, I was referring to a X1/9 dash restoration thread here on Xweb. I don't recall who it was, but it wasn't that long ago. What I'm not certain about is what they ended up doing to it.

I thought they did a nice job with that dash restoration on Wheeler Dealers.
Agree, it looked pretty good. I do recall that some of the seams were not straight when they showed the finished product. But I seem to remember the price for it wasn't too bad so I guess that's to be expected.

However I'm a bit suspicious of the cost numbers they often claim on that show. If you follow an episode closely you notice many things that are not included in the final tally, some that seem very under priced, and still others that are incomplete (only a portion of that particular repair aspect is included). I get the impression things are embellished in order to make the outcome seem more attractive than in reality. Even at that, the total "profit" is often a very small amount, and that does not include anything for all of the labor, overhead, supplies, and things left off the list. In other words they seem to actually take a rather large loss on most of their builds. But I watch shows like that strictly for entertainment and ignore the inconsistencies/inaccuracies. I'd love to see this program with a couple of guys like Edd and Ant, and leave off the 'mouth'. ;) By the way, Ant seems to be really enjoying life in SoCal, have you seen who his new girlfriend is? :)

Agree, it looked pretty good. I do recall that some of the seams were not straight when they showed the finished product. But I seem to remember the price for it wasn't too bad so I guess that's to be expected.

However I'm a bit suspicious of the cost numbers they often claim on that show. If you follow an episode closely you notice many things that are not included in the final tally, some that seem very under priced, and still others that are incomplete (only a portion of that particular repair aspect is included). I get the impression things are embellished in order to make the outcome seem more attractive than in reality. Even at that, the total "profit" is often a very small amount, and that does not include anything for all of the labor, overhead, supplies, and things left off the list. In other words they seem to actually take a rather large loss on most of their builds. But I watch shows like that strictly for entertainment and ignore the inconsistencies/inaccuracies. I'd love to see this program with a couple of guys like Edd and Ant, and leave off the 'mouth'. ;) By the way, Ant seems to be really enjoying life in SoCal, have you seen who his new girlfriend is? :)
I must have missed Ant's girlfriend but it appears he is happier than Edd was in SoCal. As far as the costs go, it is probably all a drop in the bucket compared to the production costs of the episode. I never get too hung up on the total cost number since it is irrelevant without the cost of the labor, but I do find it educational to see what they paid for a specific part or service that they used. As far as the dash, I think I saw the same crooked seam that you did but it looked great compared to how it started. I seem to recall the price was lower than I would have guessed as well.

Once upon a time, now with a new owner in Arizona.

Attachments

• IMG_20170921_142112355.jpg
    IMG_20170921_142112355.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 354
Old style dash looks so much better than the late mish-mash.
The problem with the new style dash is that it screams 1980s and not in a good way. Doesn't fit the original lines of the car either, although those have been somewhat obscured by the big bumpers, etc.

Back