Useless carb weight facts

carl

True Classic
Since I'm in the process of changing from IDFs to DCOEs, I decided to use my daughter's surplus baking scale to see what things weigh.

Stock manifold 3 lb 10 oz 34 DMTR (basically stock carb) 4 lb 15 oz
DCOE manifold 3 lb 7 oz DCOE 5 ib 2 oz (X2)
IDF manifold 3 lb 11 oz IDF 3 lb 13 oz (X2)

A DCOE is a real porker (all carbs measured dry with no airhorns or filters)

So by going from stock to dual DCOEs I pick up about five pounds, not to mention dual filters in place of a single one. I'll cut out five pounds from the rear trunk lid to make a fresh air supply for the carbs..

Since I'm in the process of changing from IDFs to DCOEs, I decided to use my daughter's surplus baking scale to see what things weigh.

Stock manifold 3 lb 10 oz 34 DMTR (basically stock carb) 4 lb 15 oz
DCOE manifold 3 lb 7 oz DCOE 5 ib 2 oz (X2)
IDF manifold 3 lb 11 oz IDF 3 lb 13 oz (X2)

A DCOE is a real porker (all carbs measured dry with no airhorns or filters)

So by going from stock to dual DCOEs I pick up about five pounds, not to mention dual filters in place of a single one. I'll cut out five pounds from the rear trunk lid to make a fresh air supply for the carbs..

So just to add to the uselessness... I just happen to have a 42 DCNF setting here so I weighed it. 2LB 13oz This is without air horns but includes fuel inlet and interconnect linkage.

It is some difference in DCOE weight, very early models and late models are with higher weight, not big difference anyway.
IDF and DCNF series are think most light ones.

For inspiration
D7238490-8EE4-479C-B7E2-EBEF78BDF8D4.jpeg
04E5AF11-2321-47B0-9390-3048279742F9.png

I'll bet the stock carb that came on my '79 Calif smog spec 1500 weighs at least 10 pounds. It has a TON of extra do-dads all over it that must weigh more than the carb itself.

mkmini, the only similarity to that car and mine is we both have painted roofs!

Back