Valve clearances - euro 1500?

Martygf

Daily Driver
Been rebuilding the top end of my euro spec 1500 with Weber 34 carb ( head was skimmed ). I am after the cold valve clearance measurements as the Haynes manual I believe only shows the measurements for the 1300. I have just measured from cylinders 1 to 4 are:- ex .45, I .38, ex .45, I .38, ex .45, I .38, ex .4, I .28.
Thanks again

The factory "Data and Characteristics - servicing instructions" published 9/78 for the euro 1500 5 speed X19 lists the valve clearance, for general operation, adjusted cold: inlet 0.45mm exhaust 0.60mm.

Personally I like to close them up just a little and find 0.40 and 0.50 works well.

SteveC

Re-checked

Checked them again and came up with Ex .5, I .4, E .45, I .4, E .5, I .4, E .4, I .3. If I run the car like this will it do any damage, and would it affect the emissions test on an MOT in the UK? is there an easy way to get the shims out?

Easy?

Easy way to get the shims out: No. :)

You can use compressed air. That works pretty reliably. Sometimes it's a cinch. Not always; but it usually works. Watch out for flying objects -including spattering oil.

If you don't have the special tool that hooks under the cam and pushes down the followers -get it.

Shims

Checked them again and came up with Ex .5, I .4, E .45, I .4, E .5, I .4, E .4, I .3. If I run the car like this will it do any damage, and would it affect the emissions test on an MOT in the UK? is there an easy way to get the shims out?

This is one of those jobs that gets easier with practice. Do buy or borrow the special tool for depressing the valve, it's really hard without it. Most people seem to swear by the compressed air method, but I've never liked it - messy and awkward. Easiest for me is to lift the shim using a cheap miniature screwdriver, the same as I'd use to tighten up the screw in a pair of eyeglasses.

How come...

./.. the euro spec has so much more valve lash?

US spec is listed as Int .24-.32mm & Exh .34-.42mm

Is it different due to cam specs?

Noisy?

Finally adjusted tappets after hiring correct tool and luckily as I work in a car dealership was luckily able to borrow a box of shims from a local fiat dealer overnight. However after adjusting the gap to ex .55, in .45 and starting up it seemed to be a bit of tappet noise - only run for 3 or 4 minutes so hopefully will get quieter as it warms up. Is this normal?

.55/.45?

Finally adjusted tappets after hiring correct tool and luckily as I work in a car dealership was luckily able to borrow a box of shims from a local fiat dealer overnight. However after adjusting the gap to ex .55, in .45 and starting up it seemed to be a bit of tappet noise - only run for 3 or 4 minutes so hopefully will get quieter as it warms up. Is this normal?

.55 and .45? That sounds way high. .45 and .35 mm maximum is what I find in the Fiat shop manuals and every aftermarket book except one edition of Haynes.

Valve Clearances

The ONLINE Fiat Manual says: .011 - .014in., or .24 to .32mm for intakes and .015 - .018in., or .34 to .42mm for exhaust, but I'm unsure for which engine!

(See for yourself here: http://www.midwesternmedicalmachine.com/~damonfg/X_FSM/PDF_Files/X1-9_101-07_10-71.pdf)

My Hayne's Manual says: .016in., or .40mm for intake and .020in. or .50mm for exhaust for 1300's.

My Hayne's Manual says: SAME as the Fiat Manual for 1500's.

My Clymer's Manual says: (Get this!!!) .011 - .014 (.30 - .40mm) for intake and .015 - .018in (.40 - .50mm) for exhaust for 1300's! And the SAME for 1500's!

If I convert using GOOGLE I get:

.011in. = .28mm
.014 = .36
.015 = .38
.018 = .46

Seems like everyone CONVERTS inches to millimeters differently...

So... there ya have it... but I shimmed mine to .012 intake and .019 exhaust respectively... ('79 CA car) I get NO noise, and great response. Been over 5 years now and haven't adjusted them since. Use Castrol 10-40w now and maybe that helps...

Here is what Larry C found on his Label posted below on his '79, 49 State 1500, Still another OPINION! HA!

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/73192/

I Hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back