Veglia Flash Clock for an '86?

Cratecruncher

True Classic
I recently acquired an '86 with a clock delete plate and was wondering how difficult it would be to grab a period correct clock. I had a '79 30 years ago with the flush 2 button version but recently saw an original '83 with an inset clock. Should the '86 get the inset style or are there other later versions than that? Is it worth the trouble?

I always thought the style of the digital clock added a certain "period correctness" to the interior. My car has what I have no reason to believe is anything other than the original Veglia Borletti 2 button clock, and it is the usual flat faced style.

IIRC there was a different style clock from the same era as you describe, with three buttons, that was a Maserati Bi-Turbo item. Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MASERATI-B...LASH-DIGITAL-CLOCK-NICE-REDUCED-/222670987484 I think they are a drop-in item.

I vaguely recall some discussion of a digital clock with a recessed face, maybe resident search Guru JimD can unearth something.

On Google I found one that another page shows as coming off a Ritmo: https://www.autobelle.it/it/a/Vendo_Vegliaflash_Borletti_orologio_a_led_rossi_vintage_182686.xhtml

Last edited:
The link to the Ritmo version Dan added is the one I saw in an otherwise bone stock '83 the other day. Maybe the owner replaced the original flush-faced clock at some point. Do the clocks hold up over time? I've noticed a few clocks for sale and thought it might be an easy upgrade to my interior.

My '79 and my '85 both have the exact same (flush face) clocks. There is no indication that anything on either car has been changed from stock (prior to my ownership). I think I have an extra if you are looking for one. Send me a PM.

Dragonsgate has a few for sale in this thread. Installation is easy; the wires and plug are already there behind the clock delete plate. When I bought my car in 2008 it came without a clock, and I got a used one later that year. Still ticking (metaphorically; can't really hear the quartz crystal ticking) 10 years later.

Last edited:
Robert Lamm once musically asked us: "Does anyone really know what time it is?" I guess you guys do.

I vaguely recall some discussion of a digital clock with a recessed face
There was another one but not original to the X1/9 but exact same dimensions.
maybe aftermarket originally for the Pininfarina Spider 83–1985 I think.
Nice green display..I have a few of them. If you look back at the Geekdaddy BaT sale he has one in that X1/9 as well.

that Ritmo (or Strada) link you posted has a longer casing than the X1/9 VB clock..about an inch longer so it won't just slide right in w/o a mod.
I always thought the style of the digital clock added a certain "period correctness" to the interior. My car has what I have no reason to believe is anything other than the original Veglia Borletti 2 button clock, and it is the usual flat faced style.

DSC00238.JPG
DSC00239.JPG
DSC00241.JPG

Thanks for the leads everyone. I sourced a nice used Veglia clock in black to match the dash. Once I get to installing it I'll update the thread.

I revamped mine with the new guts that have the internal battery & don't require constant vBat. Can't remember who posted the mod, but it's worthwhile if you want the original look with more accurate timekeeping :D

Success! She was a sick little puppy when I first plugged it in. One digit didn't work at all and several of the segments in the ones that did were working intermittently. The boards slid out of the case easily and after desoldering the face from the main board I was able to get to the LEDs to replace the old solder. The boards are all through-mount on this early clock but the components are apparently bullet proof. The hardest part was getting the damn thing in the dash without breaking anything. $20 bucks well spent! Thanks Dr.J

Attachments

• P_20181012_154809.jpg
    P_20181012_154809.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 592
Hey Mike, I remember the clock was working the last time I checked it. Frankly I would not have kept it if it wasn't. However that was a couple years ago and it has been stored since. My apologies that it wasn't completely good on receipt - I honestly feel bad for that. Fortunately you were able to fix it. Please let me know if I can compensate you for the inconvenience.
By the way, I'm impressed with your report on repairing it. That is one area that I am not at all good at so I would have never even considered such a task (hence not keeping a bad one). It was a bad solder connection? I suppose erosion after sitting for some time might lead to that, especially if the connection was already on its way out. Or maybe getting bounced around in shipping? Anyway I might have to hire you for such repairs in the future. ;)
Glad it worked out and contact me if I can do anything for you. By the way, your dash looks great - like new!

Dude, I got a deal. I assumed you practically gave it to me because it was wonky and you didn't want to fix it. That's why I said I'd post a pic to show I got it working. Frankly, I enjoyed the project. :)

Much of the time these old electrics just have solder issues if the display is wonky. I had the same issue with the clock in my '87 RX7 a while back. Someone once told me the rosin which is acidic, corrodes over time and creates a barrier between the pin and solder. To do the job right you are supposed to remove all the solder from every connection with copper braid and clean everything with alcohol. But I just cleaned off the old rosin and added some fresh solder to the LED pins at the display board. The difficulty for this Veglia clock is separating the vertical display board from the horizontal board so you can reach all the LED pins with your iron. You have to remove every spec of solder from 8 pins in a row so the two boards can be pulled apart and it's really tight up against an IC that can't get hot. Sorry I didn't take pics. If my clock acts up again I'll document the process.

Back