Vehicle security?

The guy at "Keys4Classics.com" (the online supplier of Fiat keys) suggested the use of "TriFlow". I'm not certain but I think it might be a graphite and teflon mix? The TriFlow site does not tell anything about its contents.

Another one I've heard about but haven't tried is called "Lab Lubricant". It is a dry power like graphite, but made from teflon.

Sounds like the stuff sold here on the East Coast as Lock De-Icer :D
I bought it in New York. See below:

Lock-Ease.jpg

I always lock my cars, mostly so people don't throw garbage in them. o_O

Seriously, my X is seldom left unattended so I've never really given it any thought. My primary concerns (fears), in order:
  • Someone hitting it (it's easy to not see)
  • Car breaking down
  • Car catching fire
  • Car being hit by a deer
  • Being pulled over by police and taking it off the road because it's too small to be legal
  • Car being hit by meteorite, space junk, airplane
  • Girl stopping me and offering to buy the car on the spot because it is so adorable
  • Car being stolen

Brian

Girl stopping me and offering to buy the car on the spot because it is so adorable
Brian, your logic for the list of fears is sound.

The item (quoted) about a girl being interested in the car reminds me of a true story. I had just purchased a "parts car" X that was in very rough shape and was trailering it home. Had to stop for gas and while filling, I noticed a lovely young lady in the next lane was giving me the eye. So I smiled back at her, and she said "cute car". At that moment I realized two things; 1) it certainly wasn't me she was eyeing, and 2) the X is a "chick car". The rest of my drive home was rather deflated.

I've had one cheap radio (swap meet tape deck) and two sets of speakers ripped (!) out. That was all in 1989 and 1992, nothing since. There's still a detachable Tandy tape deck in there, which no one wants anyway. I leave it unlocked.

As I modify mine and add in some valuable bits that could be removed easily. Head unit, Wheels etc. Security has crossed my mind. Not sure what to do. I have installed a hidden fuel pump switch that should deter any thief's. A bit of overkill till the swap happen because good luck getting it started anyway LOL. There are sim based gps trackers with remote fuel cutoffs that are fairly cheap. We have one in one of our track cars. I think it was $50 out of china. May put one of them in the X once it is done.

good luck getting it started anyway
Good point. It is very hard to steal a car that won't start. That's likely the reason X's are not a high risk vehicle for thieves to target. :D

In your case (as well as others) the risk seems higher for things to be taken off the car (e.g. custom wheels) than the whole car stolen. In which case a GPS tracker won't help. There are all sorts of alarms, with many neat features, and perhaps that is still the best plan of defense overall?

Once upon a time wheel "locks" (security lug nuts) were good protection for nice wheels and tires. But now there are many tools commonly available that will easily remove those locking lugs without the 'key'. Combined with a cordless driver and lightweight quick jack it is not difficult to take a set of wheels. Hell, at the prices these days, the tires alone may be the most valuable item on my X's.

Its funny that the values are so low that the only reason someone would steal one is a joy ride.

A friend of mine creates custom vehicles for some of the car manufacturers to display at events like the national auto shows, SEMA show, etc. Typically a modified example of one of their normal production vehicles to entice the public. A few years ago he was commissioned by Ford to build a Ford F150 show "street" truck. Big engine with a blower, big wheels and tires, lots of body customization, lowered suspension, custom interior, etc. After Ford showed it at several events they gave it to him for his efforts. A couple days later the truck was stolen from his warehouse, then recovered the next day. At first he was very surprised that there was virtually no damage or anything missing. He thought the thieves must have been frightened off before getting too far. However upon closer inspection he discovered one tell tale sign of what happened. Seems the thieves only wanted to have some fun with it, and after burning the rear tires completely down they abandoned it. I imagine it was too unique and recognizable to keep it very long without being discovered.

A friend of mine creates custom vehicles for some of the car manufacturers to display at events like the national auto shows, SEMA show, etc. Typically a modified example of one of their normal production vehicles to entice the public. A few years ago he was commissioned by Ford to build a Ford F150 show "street" truck. Big engine with a blower, big wheels and tires, lots of body customization, lowered suspension, custom interior, etc. After Ford showed it at several events they gave it to him for his efforts. A couple days later the truck was stolen from his warehouse, then recovered the next day. At first he was very surprised that there was virtually no damage or anything missing. He thought the thieves must have been frightened off before getting too far. However upon closer inspection he discovered one tell tale sign of what happened. Seems the thieves only wanted to have some fun with it, and after burning the rear tires completely down they abandoned it. I imagine it was too unique and recognizable to keep it very long without being discovered.
No chance anybody could do that with a X19...:p

A friend of mine moved from Calgary to Virginia and shipped his modified Audi s4 with 550 hp. I guess every night that the shipper stopped he unloaded the S4 and beat on it. After it did not show up for delivery the shipper finally confessed that the driver had slammed it into a curb doing awd drifts and they were trying to get it fixed. Estimates surpassed 25k. Turns out the driver had put over 500 miles of joy riding. Took a while but he got double the value of the car plus full retail cost of all the modification from the companies insurance company and the car returned to him so he could salvage the parts. GPS tracker for me if i have to ship anything.

NRG steering wheel hub with removable, then locking steering. Can't steal a car without the steering wheel.....or can you? At least they'd think twice about something without a steering wheel.

That brings up a thought I've had for years. If I were a car thief (which I'm not), I'd consider getting a old used tow truck so I could just quickly take any vehicle and deal with access to it in the privacy of my secured garage. Or another thought is to get a gig as a valet at a high end establishment. When a desired vehicle comes in you make a copy of the key (easy to have a portable machine in your trunk), and copy the owner's address from the registration. Then you can go to the person's home and simply drive it away when they aren't around. Obviously I wouldn't bother to do either on a Fiat.

I pulled the starter wires from the ignition and removed the cigarette lighter, put a button in the lighter hole. I also hooked up the fuel pump to the rear defrost switch. Try figuring that one out! If they want it bad enough they will get it.

Back