Vents on bonnet

Hi everyone...I'm new to this bussiness and busy repairing my 78X...Between the bonnet and the front window there are two "air vents" with little holes....One is damaged...Does anyone have any idea where I can get new ones or how I can fix this problem...I will tkae a few photos and post it later ...in the photo will be the damaged " air vent "....I am very proud of my X and will like to make it spotless....thnx!!! any help will be apreciated!!!

your gonna find the default answer around here when looking for parts is "check midwest/bayless" followed in second by "ebay".... so check those out and ifyou strike out, come back and we'll point you elsewhere

Hi everyone...I'm new to this bussiness and busy repairing my 78X...Between the bonnet and the front window there are two "air vents" with little holes....One is damaged...Does anyone have any idea where I can get new ones or how I can fix this problem...I will tkae a few photos and post it later ...in the photo will be the damaged " air vent "....I am very proud of my X and will like to make it spotless....thnx!!! any help will be apreciated!!!

Do you need it for the right or left side?

I cannot get the left cowel grill off. Unlike the right side, there is a bolt holding it in from below, and I can't get my camera in there, not could I find a socket that fit using my sense of touch. Now that I see how expensive these are to replace I want to be sure not to break it! Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I cannot get the left cowel grill off. Unlike the right side, there is a bolt holding it in from below, and I can't get my camera in there, not could I find a socket that fit using my sense of touch. Now that I see how expensive these are to replace I want to be sure not to break it! Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

The scuttle screens / vent grilles are retained by IIRC short phillips head screws---

1, 2, 3: the three along the front edge that are evident
4A : one that screws into the leading edge of the cowl that you can sort of see and locate by looking for the cutout 4B on the opposite edge of the plastic rim (the cutout is there so you can pass the shaft of a screwdriver thru it)
5: also screws thru the flat part of the leading edge of the cowl, can be located by looking for the mysterious plastic cylinder in the otherwise uniform grid of the screen, this one is unfastened using a stubby phillips head screwdriver coming up from underneath
scuttle.jpg

BTW, photo was copied from www.Midwest-Bayless.com

Last edited:
I think that it takes an 8mm socket or box end. Patience is probably your best friend here. The screws can get rust in there, even though they face down. Squirts of WD40 underneath, aimed at the flange of the screw head and waiting hours before spraying again (with as many as 1/2 dozen repetitions) has worked for me before. The lugs that the screws go into DO break easily. You may even be able to support the lugs with a long needle nose plier while trying to loosen the screws. We tapped the holes & replaced the screws with stainless steel hex head bolts after getting the screws out.
Best of luck!

Thank you all very much. The right bottom screw must have either fallen out at some point or removed and never replaced.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get new ones
New ones will be difficult to find - at least affordably. But good used ones are offered here in the "for sale" section now and then. Post in that section asking for it. Or do a "search" for it - isolated to that section of the forum, there may be an older listing for it that's still available (it's not unusual for someone to list something and not keep bumping it up).

Mine’s held on with a screw that takes a 7mm wrench.

I have multiple sets of these grills.

I wonder if the type of fastener (screw head vs hex head) differs by year? My '79 has phillips screws like Dan described. I'd have to look at the '85s to see what they have. But obviously some are saying theirs have hex heads. I guess just be aware it might be wither type when you go to remove them.

On all of my '74s and several later years it is Mark describes: 7mm hex head. At some point it may have been changed to Philips head to match the screws that go in from above.

Eric beat me to it. Mine has the Phillips head screws along the front and a 7 mm hex head underneath. About the only thing I have ever used the 7 mm wrench for. Well, almost the only thing.

I wonder if the type of fastener (screw head vs hex head) differs by year? My '79 has phillips screws like Dan described. I'd have to look at the '85s to see what they have. But obviously some are saying theirs have hex heads. I guess just be aware it might be wither type when you go to remove them.

My '85 has a 7mm bolt there.

Back