very white coloured spark plug

ghostdancing

True Classic
this is the color of my s.plugs: what you would check to correct to a more proper color?

car goes rather well indeed..but there is something wrong with this super white plugs
20190413_102549.jpg

What fuel are you using in Italy? Is it 10% ethenol based? Also what type of plug is that, doesnt look like the standard NGK BP6ES

i dont know exactly what is in our gasoline today, i guess not so much ethanol as in the US, probably a lower percantage; the plugs are bosch platinum plus in the correct termic grade for the sohc (found an advise for these plugs in the wiki Xweb pages)

anyway last time i checked the plugs where more on the maroon\black side (too rich ), it was some months ago

i checked today because i was dealing with a distributor\coil\ignition module issue

Ok if it where me, and assuming a carb and euro E5~10 95 fuel...I’d be looking to put the standard BP6 plugs in and advancing the ignition by a few degrees, if that doesnt change anything then I’d think about going up half a main jet size from standard.

I suspect you are running rather lean. I would agree with NEG, going to a larger main jet would be a good call.

yes, it's carbed and the gas it's the euro 95.

plugs are bosch platinum WR7DP: are they too hot? i run helical power leads (because i know that with electronic ignition must use some form of resistor wire) wich NGK plugs must buy (non resistor type)?

NEG, you say more advance: as far as i know more advance= hotter combustion..but i need to lower the combustion chamber temperature..please explain..as you see i'm a newbie..

anyway i recently swapped the distributor with a new marelli plex breakerless, the mechanic set the advance @10 degree or a few more: no pre-ignition ticking when driving; i suspect that this hot condition has started since then

Last edited:
Oh ok, do you know what advance curve it has? The idea to advance a few degrees was to compensate a little for the E5~10 fuel in Europe. Ethanol contains more oxygen so it weakens the mixture slightly, a weaker mixture takes a little longer to ignite so the slight advances starts the ignition cycle a touch earlier to give more time for a full burn of the the mixture. Can you set the static advance back to 5deg BTDC and see?

thank you for explaining me this!

i dont know nothing about the advance curve: this distributor is the breakerless marelli plex fitted on the mid '80s fiat UNO\regata\ritmo 1.3, it has the vacuum system, but i left it unconnected (will try sooner or later to connect the hose to the induction manifold)

will retard the advance, fit a set of NGK BP6ES and test the car; to retard i have to turn the dizzy clockwise..correct?

i suspect more an ignition issue than a mixture problem: never changed carburetor setup and the car, before the dizzy swap havent had any problem (brown spark plugs, on the rich side rather than lean.)

Back