Volvo C30 AWD Conversion

Discussion in 'NFC Forum' started by lookforjoe, Dec 30, 2018.

1. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

Have to do this before the K24, need to be able to drive the Bertone whilst this takes place in the Spring. Will drive this to Carlisle Import Show if done, otherwise X1/9 will go.

AWD drivetrain components, rear subframe, etc., coming from this:
    Price is right for the donor, was mint prior to roll :D. Lower miles than my C30
    [​IMG]

Got the M66 AWD manual trans a few days ago, installed a Quaife 14J posi (new bearings & seals of course) today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back together

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Hasbro likes this.
  2. Kevin Channer

Kevin Channer True Classic

Awesome project! Best of luck, Certainly if anyone can do it, you can.

3. Anandastar

Anandastar True Classic

I was looking at a C30 when I bought my Mini, the reviewers kind of panned it’s handling which steered me towards the Mini. Good luck and have fun.

4. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

Thank you. The current issue is that with the larger turbo & tune, I just break the tires loose in the first few gears on a roll. AWD will fix that :D

Also blacked out the chrome in the headlamp housings, and installing Bi-Xenon projectors next

[​IMG]

kmead likes this.
  5. kmead

kmead Insufferable dum bass

I recall a few projects on the VWVortex over the years to add AD/Syncro system to a VW Jetta wagon using components from a EU Syncro. It was quite a project moving the floorpan and associated mounts, fuel tank etc.

Agreed if someone can do it, its you. Good luck and please drag us along. We always are willing to learn.

6. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

Thank you - the handling is pretty good, once some inexpensive mods are performed - it's the same chassis as Mazda3 & Similar vintage Ford Focus (High performance version only in EU market), so there are readily available parts to do this.

It was fun to be at The Dragon with about 30 other C30's a couple years back :) I would imagine there is a similar meet for Minis :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

Looks like main issues to be solved are the Haldex (under way), and the blasted fuel level reporting. Seems Volvo uses software to 'interpret' or analyze the signals from the two level sensors (saddle tank in AWD models) according to the Volvo technical data. Signals go into CEM, then fed to DIM (Driver Info Module, ala' dashboard) where it is analyzed & interpreted to present accurate level on the guage. Bloody hell.

I can't recall how the signals were merged to one output on my old AWD wagon, but it wasn't complicated. In this case, it looks like the easiest solution (as no software can be involved) is to build a summing amplifier. I have no knowledge of this, so more investigation will be required, along with math :(

[​IMG]

To determine the resistor values, I/O voltage values are needed. Of course, the Volvo diagnostic manuals don't provide any such info, as one is not expected to measure such things anymore, just replace parts if the system is inaccurate.