Want to sell my 1976 Scorpion

The clutch works, so I am pretty sure it is the throwout bearing. If you start it in neutral, everything is fine, but when you press in the clutch pedal and attempt to put it in gear, you can't. With the engine off, and when you press in the clutch pedal, the control rod on the transmission housing moves normally. However, when you have the transmission in gear, and the clutch pedal depressed, and then try to start the car, the car leaps forward because the clutch is still engaged, so I am fairly sure that the problem is with the throwout bearing.
Clutch disc could be rusted to the flywheel. There are a couple of ways you can unstick it.

If the throwout arm is moving normally, I would expect the throwout bearing to move, even if it had a problem (any noise?) unless the throwout arm is not connected to the bearing. I've also seen pressure plates where the fingers that the throwout bearing touches have been worn through so there is no way the bearing can move the pressure plate. However, pressure plates rusted to the flywheel are not that uncommon so I think @twincam69's suggestion is worth checking out.

What are some of the ways I can try to unstick it, without dropping the transmission?
Not very elegant but you can jack up the rear of the car with a floor jack, start the car in gear (3rd or 4th), give it a little gas, depress the clutch, keep it down and have someone else lower the car quickly. The shock should break the clutch loose. Just make sure you're outside with nothing in front of the car if it decides not to work. You can also follow these instructions but instead of lowering the car, hit the brakes hard. That can work too.

Done this on a few different cars. The last one was a Lotus Elan S2.

Emphasis on having nothing in front of the car when it gets dropped :)
Not very elegant but you can jack up the rear of the car with a floor jack, start the car in gear (3rd or 4th), give it a little gas, depress the clutch, keep it down and have someone else lower the car quickly. The shock should break the clutch loose. Just make sure you're outside with nothing in front of the car if it decides not to work. You can also follow these instructions but instead of lowering the car, hit the brakes hard. That can work too.

What are some of the ways I can try to unstick it, without dropping the transmission?
When my X clutch was stuck to the flywheel i jacked the rear tires off the ground. Started the car in third gear and just worked the throttle up and down. It broke free fairly easily.

I'm in the same boat as you. A nice car that's been sitting too long. If you were near me we could put our heads together. I agree also with those stating you should get it driving and stopping before you list it, it will greatly increase what someone will pay... these cars are NOT going down in value!

Back