Wanted: '80-82 EFI 1500 5 speed...

WantAnX1/9

Stuck in gear, leaking fluids, fire in progress...
Hello, I am on the hunt for a SOLID car. A solid driver that I can work with, not a car that needs everything day one. I'm willing to wait for the right car.

I live in New Hampshire and am willing to travel (just need to give work notice so I can take some vacation time and go get the car).

My maximum budget is $10k, and I would be overjoyed if I had my car in another year or so.

Thank you all.

EDIT: I'd love to buy from a member of this forum, because you all know these cars better than I, as I am still learning about them. I'd love a car that has been loved, not neglected.

Last edited:
Buy my '79. Carbd X's are better then fi. Easier to make go faster too.
If I wanted to go fast, I would have bought a clumsy 5-speed Foxbody GT by now. I have 1 car and 3 motorcycles with carbs. No more vehicles with carbs for me. I want the ease of use of EFI, the power of the 1500cc engine, and the longer legs of the 5 speed.

If I wanted to go fast, I would not keep and maintain an MG Midget. My Daytona 1200 is for when I want my hair to catch on fire while grabing a gallon of milk in under 10 mins. Guess I'm getting old...she has to have EFI, as even an EFI X will be near constant maintenance, I'm not kidding myself about that. I'm not trying to make things harder for me, so EFI is a must.

That said, your car is most excellent, Eastep, but not for me.

Did you see this one? I know it's an '87 but the price seems reasonable and it's in your part of the country. You'd have room in your budget for maintenance and upgrades.

Why 80-82? You want Fiat badges?
"Badges, we don't need no stinking badges!"

'80-'82 had the 1500 engine, 5-speed, and EFI, but didn't have any of the add-ons, like two tone paint, rear spoiler, mandatory power windows and (sometimes) body kits of the later Bertone badged cars.

I just like the style of the cars from that period more than the later cars. The interiors also look better to me than the later cars.

I consider them the "sweet spot" between the older 1300 4-speeds w/carbs and the later cars that appear to have had everything thrown onto them.

I know objectively the later cars are better for several reasons, but that doesn't matter to me. If that was my priority, I'd already have a clean AW11 or SW20 Turbo MR2 5-speed.

Some men just prefer redheads. That's all it is.

Oh no prob. Just curious because there was that all-red 86 for sale here.

Those cars didn't have spoilers, side moulding, the odd gauge font, (of the 87+ cars) and when one is non-two tone, other than the badges and power windows you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and an 80-82 that's all.

Good luck with your search.

The beauty of the hobby is you want what you want and you search it out. I will let you know if I come across a car that meets your wish list.

20190803_2b.jpg
BTW Badges are easy to fix. Just sayin' :cool:

I know objectively the later cars are better for several reasons, but that doesn't matter to me. If that was my priority, I'd already have a clean AW11 or SW20 Turbo MR2 5-speed.

I've got a clean AW11 with 6 speed for sale if you're interested. Also a SW20 but you might not like it. . . . Widebody with K20.

Also +1 to the comments about '86 options. Mine is solid color, no body kit, no spoiler. Just something to think about.

I've got a clean AW11 with 6 speed for sale if you're interested. Also a SW20 but you might not like it. . . . Widebody with K20.

Also +1 to the comments about '86 options. Mine is solid color, no body kit, no spoiler. Just something to think about.
Tempting, as MR2s are great cars, but I'm sticking to my target vehicle.

Thank you.

I have an 86 in South Carolina if you're interested. It was a solid driver when I parked it in March of 2020, although the starter isn't turning now.
I'd previously chased this issue to a loose wire on the starter, but with a new baby I just haven't had the time (that's why she's sitting)

She also needs a new speedo cable installed; her current one was crushed when installing all new master brake, master clutch, and reservoir lines.

I previously drove her to Florida twice and New Hampshire once in the few years before parking.

Power windows and rear spoiler, but the rest is typical. It's just time for me to reduce overhead and hobbies with the new baby.

I have an 86 in South Carolina if you're interested. It was a solid driver when I parked it in March of 2020, although the starter isn't turning now.
I'd previously chased this issue to a loose wire on the starter, but with a new baby I just haven't had the time (that's why she's sitting)

She also needs a new speedo cable installed; her current one was crushed when installing all new master brake, master clutch, and reservoir lines.

I previously drove her to Florida twice and New Hampshire once in the few years before parking.

Power windows and rear spoiler, but the rest is typical. It's just time for me to reduce overhead and hobbies with the new baby.
Thank you, friend. I'm looking only for an '80-'82. Period.

Back