Wanted: X 1/9 Steering Wheel

Received: X 1/9 Steering Wheel thanks to Pete Whitstone. I mounted the wheel to my column just to make sure I had all the parts necessary for the horn to work and the signals to cancel. Looks like whomever adapted the aftermarket wheel didn't change anything and I'm good to proceed to the next stage.

Attachments

• P_20180922_175928.jpg
    P_20180922_175928.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 31
I finally got the chance to finish the steering wheel Pete Whitstone sent me the other day and wanted to update this thread. This is what the wheel looked like just before Pete pulled it off one of his parts cars:
IMG_2131[1].JPG
And here is what it looks like after intalling it this afternoon on my '86 Bertone:
P_20181026_170410.jpg

And here are some in-process pictures to show some of the steps involved:
P_20181019_174252.jpg
P_20181023_122551.jpg
P_20181023_203243.jpg
P_20181026_132943.jpg
From start to finish took approximately 20 hours of work. The hardest part was precision cutting the leather so that it fit literally like a glove. The hand sewing was surprisingly easy but time-consuming. I enjoyed the project but don't think I want to do another one for a while.

And thanks to Pete for finding me a derelict wheel to learn on!

And if you are still reading this post I figure you find this stuff as interesting as I do and will want to find out how I learned to do it. Here is a link to one of many Cechiflo created Youtube tutorials on the subject:

Last edited:
Bravo! I've been watching Cechiflo's video's for quite some time, and have always been impressed with his talent and patience.
Great job! I've done some upholstery repair work myself, and I know how tedious and time consuming this can be.
You should be very proud of yourself. The new wrap really looks great. Hope to do mine someday, too.

Indeed, the glue is very important on car components like shifters and steering wheels. Think what it would feel like if the leather slipped around on the rim while turning. I kinda lucked out in that department. I have a Tandy Leather store nearby and was able to get a can of their house brand adhesive called Tanner's Bond Contact Cement. The stuff is amazing. Super strong and yet can be lifted for repositioning without too much trouble. But I got a drop on the new paint job and discovered it makes good paint stripper too. Probably not a good idea to be sniffing the stuff with regularity either. Other leather crafters like a brand called Barge but it's expensive.

Here's a link:
https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/tanners-bond-contact-cement

Last edited:
Wow, I remember Tandy Leather back in the early 70's. Had no idea they are still around.

Ha, I have a old steering wheel where the leather has come unglued, but is still in place. You can twist it around.

Upholsterers use a contact cement that might be similar, not sure. They use it for everything and it seems to hold up very well in a car interior environment. No idea if it is good for something like this, just remarking on it.

Wow, I remember Tandy Leather back in the early 70's. Had no idea they are still around.

Ha, I have a old steering wheel where the leather has come unglued, but is still in place. You can twist it around.

Upholsterers use a contact cement that might be similar, not sure. They use it for everything and it seems to hold up very well in a car interior environment. No idea if it is good for something like this, just remarking on it.
That is the same Tandy that used to own Radio Shack. I didn't know that they were still around either.

Yes, remember the TRS-80 computer? "TRS" was for "Tandy Radio Shack".

And Radio Shack itself seem to be gone as well. So how Tandy Leather still exists is amazing.

Charles Tandy seemed to have the Midas touch. In '63 he acquired failing local Ft Worth company Radio Shack with the huge pile of money he was making from expanding his dad's leather goods business since the '40s. He quickly turned RS around and made more millions. By 1975 Mr. Tandy was slowing down and the two divisions were so different the board split them into separate publicly traded companies. Each has big problems, Radio Shack being the most public. Who builds/repairs their own electronics anymore? Tandy Leather Factory has similar problems. Their store franchise business model is antiquated, their products overpriced, and who makes anything with their bare hands anymore? Tandy built an empire in a society which coveted personal craftsmanship and know-how. Our disposable age of design obsolescence means we just don't "have time". We're too busy standing in line for the next IPhone iteration with the battery conveniently sealed inside.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I seem to recall one of Tandy Leather's biggest customer bases back then was the hippie movement. They liked to do all sorts of hand made items, and leather accessories were very popular. Guess it was "groovy".

Back