WANTED: X1/9 Front C/A & Radius Rod assemblies

Thanks, Pete. ;)

It's been ~30 years since my Scorpion days, so I can't recall...are these the same parts as used on the X1/9? (I imagine so, or you wouldn't have offered them, right?). If so, I'll take them, just PM me your payment info. Shipping would be to 92860, USPS would likely be cheapest?

Jeff, as far as I know they are the same, but you might want to verify that. Currently they are still attached to the lower control arms, I've got those bolts soaking in PB Blaster. It's curious, it looks like where they pass through the LCA they are not threaded. Hope it's not a press fit or something, they are in there pretty solid. I thought I saw above where you found some LCA's, or I'd just ship the whole thing to you. Let me know if that's what you want. The ball joints and LCA mount bushings appear to be in good shape. The rubber donuts at the end of the radius rod are mostly dead, however. Pictures attached. Let me know how much of this you want shipped.

Pete
IMG_1703[1].JPG
IMG_1704[1].JPG
IMG_1705[1].JPG

Pete, on my X those bolts (connecting the radius rods to the lower control arms) just passed through a non-threaded hole...and not a press fit. So likely its just rust holding yours together (assuming they are the same).

Pete, on my X those bolts (connecting the radius rods to the lower control arms) just passed through a non-threaded hole...and not a press fit. So likely its just rust holding yours together (assuming they are the same).

That's what I'm thinking too. Thus the PB Blaster.

Pete

Kind of crazy that this happened considering the X1/9 community is fairly small.

If anyone in SoCal suddenly notices an X driving around that was a known basket case...

It's curious, it looks like where they pass through the LCA they are not threaded. Hope it's not a press fit or something, they are in there pretty solid.

Not a press fit, just rusty. ;) Keep on it with the PBB, maybe a little heat (small propane torch works ok), they should come loose.

I thought I saw above where you found some LCA's, or I'd just ship the whole thing to you. Let me know if that's what you want. The ball joints and LCA mount bushings appear to be in good shape. The rubber donuts at the end of the radius rod are mostly dead, however. Pictures attached. Let me know how much of this you want shipped.

Yeah, just bought those NOS LCA's, otherwise I'd have taken yours. Just need the radius rod assemblies & hardware as shown, plus the mounting bolts/nuts I see on the inboard ends of your LCA's, if possible?

I may have some NOS rubber donuts (bushings), or should I say I know I had some, I just can't find the little Fiat/Lancia bag with them in it. Hopefully I didn't already sell them off! For now, your used ones will do the job. I can always buy new ones later if I can't find the ones I (think I) have.

Last edited:
Kind of crazy that this happened considering the X1/9 community is fairly small.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly! ;)

Without going into too much detail, the car was taken from a shared storage space in El Monte by one of the (then) co-tenants (who wasn't a "Fiat guy"). Fast forward a few years later, & the car is found by police partially stripped & abandoned out in Moreno Valley. We recovered the car from a tow yard there, & after looking the car over, decided it would be savable with a bit of parts-sourcing & lots of wrenching (most likely by me). The driveline's fairly intact, just a lot of random parts taken from the car - parts that have no connection to each other (as assemblies) & not much resale value, especially without possibility of being spotted for sale. Bizarre AF.

If anyone in SoCal suddenly notices an X driving around that was a known basket case...

I'm not sure what you mean by that...this particular car was not a basket case, it was a running/driving car, with a good interior, decent paint, full fender flares/custom nose & (in its earlier days - turbo'd) 1500 FI power. This car & its (late) previous owner were part of the So. Cal. Fiat scene throughout the 1990's & early 2000's, likely known by many. The car is definitely a bit rough around the edges & in need of some TLC at the moment, but looking at the car as a whole, my friend & I feel it's savable & should be saved. So that's what we're doing. ;)

As recovered Nov. '17:

120.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like I may have the radius rod parts coming from TX (Pete), but I'm still in need of the mounting hardware for the inboard end of each front control arm (as noted in the first photo of my post last Sunday). Do you have these items?

Yes Jeff, I still have the parts you need, but I'm a bit confused about exactly which parts you need. Can you please specify which ones you're needing?
BTW - all of the inner control arm bushings that I've seen are one piece (#4 & 6) and include the #8 spacer, and I'm not sure about the washers #3 & #7.

plus the mounting bolts/nuts I see on the inboard ends of your LCA's, if possible?

You're talking about the bolt that passes through the bushing to hold the LCA on the car? Sure, I'll throw those in the box.

I'll get this to the shipper in the next day or two.

Pete

Jeff, that is bizarre someone would steal a car only to remove some random (and for the most part, valueless) bits but not the good stuff (turbo engine, wide body kit, etc). Makes me think it was a X enthusiast that needed those specific parts for his car. But that still doesn't explain why he would leave the good stuff behind. Hate to say it, but it only confirms my impression that our society is cluttered with idiots.
Glad you are able to get it back together, what other parts do you need? Be sure to show us how it ends up when you are done (no pressure, but now we are all watching :)).
Do you have any info about the prior turbo set up that was once in the car? I'm considering doing a turbo project on the 1500 engine and welcome any info. Thanks.

Yes Jeff, I still have the parts you need, but I'm a bit confused about exactly which parts you need. Can you please specify which ones you're needing?
BTW - all of the inner control arm bushings that I've seen are one piece (#4 & 6) and include the #8 spacer, and I'm not sure about the washers #3 & #7.

Parts needed were described here: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....-c-a-radius-rod-assemblies.33462/#post-285717

I've noted the same things about the 1-piece bushing (vs. 2-piece as shown) & #8 spacer tube, the NOS control arms I just bought (still in the mail to me) should already have these items installed, so it looks like I don't need #8 any more. Going by the photos of Pete's control arms, they have the hardware I need, so I'll just take his offerings to make things easier all-around.

But THANK YOU for your kind offer! :)

You're talking about the bolt that passes through the bushing to hold the LCA on the car? Sure, I'll throw those in the box.

YES, that bolt & nut, plus any associated washers if they're there (I don't see any, but it might just be the angle of the photo). THANKS!

Jeff, that is bizarre someone would steal a car only to remove some random (and for the most part, valueless) bits but not the good stuff (turbo engine, wide body kit, etc). Makes me think it was a X enthusiast that needed those specific parts for his car. But that still doesn't explain why he would leave the good stuff behind. Hate to say it, but it only confirms my impression that our society is cluttered with idiots.

As I stated, the guy wasn't a "Fiat guy" (my friend & I were probably 2 of the 3 or so Fiat guys he knew), so the likelihood of the parts being used for another X1/9 are practically nil. The choices of parts removed/taken make no sense to me, especially the wheels which were not "valuable" per se, but highly recognizable as being from this very car (custom widened & chromed stock Fiat 124 steel wheels aren't your garden-variety stuff). Not too smart!

Glad you are able to get it back together, what other parts do you need?

Right now, I'm just focusing on getting the car off of jackstands & back on its own feet. More parts-wanted posts will be likely, though. What I'm really hoping for is a parts-donor car to pop up in one of my local junkyards - makes getting all the little miscellaneous stuff a lot easier! ;)

Do you have any info about the prior turbo set up that was once in the car? I'm considering doing a turbo project on the 1500 engine and welcome any info.

I don't have any info on the custom turbo setup that used to be on this car, sorry. It was removed by the previous owner, with the car being driven under normal-aspiration power after that. This was all before my friend acquired the car. But I do remember driving behind the car (in its turbo form) on several club drives back in the day, & it was pretty quick! :)

I was saying the car the parts were stolen for was likely a basket case since they were so random. Like you said so strange. Hopefully the community will have all you need laying around in parts bins.

Back