Was the Black Bumpers a US thing?

Eugene Harvey

True Classic
This is just a general interest question, as I've seen a number of threads about black bumpers on mid to late model X1/9's, and my 1980 (long since gone) and my 89's all had/have the natural alloy bumpers. I can understand repainting if having any kind of accident as they are completely natural and once marked, you're screwed.
X19Bumper.JPG

They definitely came on line here on the USA after Fiat bailed and the cars were markeded under “Bertone”. Not sure if all Bertones had the black bumpers. They likely were phased in.

This is just a general interest question, as I've seen a number of threads about black bumpers on mid to late model X1/9's, and my 1980 (long since gone) and my 89's all had/have the natural alloy bumpers. I can understand repainting if having any kind of accident as they are completely natural and once marked, you're screwed.
View attachment 16957

They definitely came on line here on the USA after Fiat bailed and the cars were markeded under “Bertone”
Thanks, that's why I am thinking it may have been a US thing, as the photo is an 89 with all Bertone badging. All photos I can remember out of Europe and the UK also had the alloy finish.

The Bertone cars had a creeping or rolling black-out motif going. I'm not 100% sure of the progression, but over the '83 thru '87/'88 time period, these things went from a chrome/natural finish to blacked-out:

A. Door window track/divider between the fixed glass and moving glass
B. Bumpers
C. Sail panel rear edge trim
D. Windshield surround trim
E. Door handles

Last edited:
My ‘85 came with black bumpers but the trim was still stainless. Except the door handles were black too. So, definitely a gradual transition.

The Bertone cars had a creeping or rolling black-out motif going. I'm not 100% sure of the progression, but over the '83 thru '87/'88 time period, these things went from a chrome/natural finish to blacked-out:

A. Door window track/divider between the fixed glass and moving glass
B. Bumpers
C. Sail panel rear edge trim
D. Windshield surround trim

All other bright work on my 89 is black. The only thing retained was the natural alloy bumper. Searching on Gran Finale,they all have the Alloy Bumpers, so maybe in the final years 88/89 Bertone reverted back to alloy.
(PS. Think the spoiler on the Red one is a personalised touch, as I've never seen anything other than black)

GFBlue.JPG
GFBlue2.JPG
GFRed.JPG
GFBurg.JPG

Searching on Gran Finale,they all have the Alloy Bumpers, so maybe in the final years 88/89 Bertone reverted back to alloy.
(PS. Think the spoiler on the Red one is a personalised touch, as I've never seen anything other than black)
Exactly they went back to anodized aluminum for the final two year of production and featured on the GF.
Black finished bumpers were not isolated only to the USA. 3 year run starting in 85.

Rear deck spoilers were available in body colors from the factory as well...red or whatever the car color was.

Rear deck spoilers were available in body colors from the factory as well...red
Sorry, meant the front spoiler, which on the red X in the photo has also been colour coded, as yeah, my rear spoiler is colour coded. You do find that some late model X1/9's have had their rear spoilers removed as a common problem were the 'wings' were poorly fixed and had the issue of falling off. And good luck finding a replacement. Mind you, the need for a rear deck spoiler for an X1/9 was a little optimistic.

I've never seen black ones.
Neither have I, which had me confused with the references to black bumpers. But if it was only a short run from somewhere in 85 to 87, could explain it, as the alloy bumpers would have run right through from 79-somewhere in 85 then 88/89. Wiki does say "1985 - Bumper finish changed from anodized aluminium to flat black." which could be anywhere in 85. Also, when you consider only 19,500 were manufactured under the Bertone label from 1982 to 1989, and 140,500 were made badged Fiat. So assuming a relatively even production number, that would be around 2,500 Bertone per year, which would make only 7,500 Black Bumpered ones out of a total 160,000.

my 86 was built in July 85, by the door tag - with black bumpers, sail trim, door handles, and window dividers, but shiny windshield surround. Body color top, black engine cover.

Edit: black leather interior and P/S mirror, too.
S/N 157516.

Last edited:
my 86 was built in July 85, by the door tag - with black bumpers, sail trim, door handles, and window dividers, but shiny windshield surround. Body color top, black engine cover.

My 1986 is the same except the door handles are shiny and the hood and trunk release is also shiny with a black top. I don’t know the exact manufacturing date of my ,86. I will look at the door tag tomorrow and post what it says.
#159580 looks like a mid ‘86 from the VIN.
Thanks,
Florida Mike

Back