Water seepage into floors....

Wayne

True Classic
Wow so much water coming on both floors. New cover arrived but where is it leaking onto the floors?

Top of the windscreen at the seal with the roof, side windows at the top....maybe sit in the car and get a helper to hose the car to see any leaks....

Put some paper towels down on the floor and see what gets wet. Once you find the wet spot look above it.
What year car do you have? If you have a newer car with the "circuit board" fuse box make sure the water isn't getting into it! That'll toast it quick. Causes some weird electrical faults.
If the water is coming in from the top to door window interface, make sure the weather stripping is good and that the caulking between the layers of trim on the top there is intact. That caulk is needed to prevent leaks.

I get water on both front floors after a good rain. I thought I was good at finding leaks but no luck so far. It was suggested the windshield seal is the problem. Fortunately my rat has a gutted interior with no carpet so I just wipe up the floor. Pretty sad on my part. If the car had a carpet I would have to seriously find the problem. A friend with a hose while you hang upside down under the dash would be the way to go.

I get water on both front floors after a good rain. I thought I was good at finding leaks but no luck so far. It was suggested the windshield seal is the problem. Fortunately my rat has a gutted interior with no carpet so I just wipe up the floor. Pretty sad on my part. If the car had a carpet I would have to seriously find the problem. A friend with a hose while you hang upside down under the dash would be the way to go.
Carl, if you had a couple of rust holes in those floors, then they would be self draining and you wouldn't have to wipe them up. ☺
Maybe you should consider drilling drain holes...or just wait a couple months and they will appear by themselves. :p

Mine doesn’t leak, but there can be some odd ways for water to get in.

One overlooked one is the plastic film behind the door panels. The water can come in and then run down the sides of the car. Hussein I believe had this happen on his.

In my case, one (or both) drain holes were plugged by leaves. Then the water found it's way into the center vent and dripped on the floor. Sometimes, also, the front top of the corner window seals were dripping on the floor, but it was a slow leak. Then, there is a possiblity about a leaking heater valve...

Then, there is a possiblity about a leaking heater valve...
Given the relative absence of rain here, I found the leak was from the heater pipe in the center tunnel. It had corroded similar to the way the larger coolant pipes do. But the heater tube is in the upper tunnel (opposed to the lower one under the floor pan), so when it leaked it seeped across the floor from the center out....all under the carpet and pad so it didn't show up until damage occured. Luckily the damage was very minor.

My pipe also had a leak. I replaced it with 10 feet of heater hose going from the heater to the engine. That eliminated the pipe and three sections of heater hose. Less places to leak.

Back