Wayne Wright's 6cyl X for sale

Mike mentioned the black car and the motor (on the stand) to me many times. The motor has a 35/75 cam and other goodies that elude me at the moment. Also IIRC there is a very cool exhaust setup for it. He also mentioned there we're 4 or 5 trannys that go with the car...

Also I feel like its been there a good bit longer than five years but I can't recall those details. I sure wish I had room for that black X

Looking forward to seeing y'all at the celebration.

I pulled off the endcap to see if there were any markings on the cam. No stampings, but it did have crosshairs across the end. Head looks like a standard Fi head, no porting indicated. And I will keep looking for an exhaust anywhere else than on the car. I also don't see any spare transmissions, although I have not searched the shed.

Will be good to have a few more enthusiasts around on the 25th to help identify what can be put together as a package for each car!

I charged the battery on "Waynes" X19 and the car fired right up. I made a video but can't figure out how to compress it to share...

I remember talking with Mike about the v-6 He said it even had the familiar X1/9 feel to how it drove.

Did He get the 74 dash and cover plate over the old fuel cap done?

That is a wildly cool car.

For the record, the 3800 engine is not based on the SBC, but on the Buick 215 V8. The 4.3L is the engine made effectively by cutting two cylinders off a SBC.

And the Buick 215 V8 is what became the legendary Rover V8!

Yes indeed. British Leyland used the heck out of that engine. I believe that it was even planned to go into what became the Metro 6R4 before they decided on a V6--one that wasn't based on the 215.

It was a neat engine. The English got a lot more use out of it than we did.

Believe me, the "legendary" Rover V8 is a POS. Note the Land Rover Discovery second from the right in the video still above. Identical to mine. It makes NO power and sucks premium like you would not believe. Plus it's loaded with build and design faults, is prone to overheating and liner slippage. Never again. Only the Brits, who don't know any better, would call this engine legendary and mean it in a good way.

Believe me, the "legendary" Rover V8 is a POS. Note the Land Rover Discovery second from the right in the video still above. Identical to mine. It makes NO power and sucks premium like you would not believe. Plus it's loaded with build and design faults, is prone to overheating and liner slippage. Never again. Only the Brits, who don't know any better, would call this engine legendary and mean it in a good way.
No argument there. I guess you get the honorific "legendary" by hanging around long enough, even if you leak coolant while doing it.
I'm fairly sure that looking cross-eyed at a Disco I for more than two seconds will cause the truck to spontaneously blow a head gasket.

Unfortunately you have the real lemon of the bunch. The 3.5 and 3.9 are good engines, but starting with the 4.0 and 4.6, the liners would not stay seated the aluminum block, so the result was blown head gaskets and all kinds of problems. Combined that famous British build quality and everything you describe is true. New top hat style liners solve the problem, but unfortunately that was not part of the redesign.

You may want to browse this Mikey

Unfortunately you have the real lemon of the bunch. The 3.5 and 3.9 are good engines, but starting with the 4.0 and 4.6, the liners would not stay seated the aluminum block, so the result was blown head gaskets and all kinds of problems. Combined that famous British build quality and everything you describe is true. New top hat style liners solve the problem, but unfortunately that was not part of the redesign.

But the 4.6 with top hat liners is an amazing motor though.

But the 4.6 with top hat liners is an amazing motor though.
My gripe about the Rover is that it makes no power. Mine doesn't have any problems (yet), but for as heavy as a Discovery is, 217 hp is embarrassing. It's so slow, my X can outrun it. That, my friends, is pokey. Brits love it but it's unremarkable.

My gripe about the Rover is that it makes no power. Mine doesn't have any problems (yet), but for as heavy as a Discovery is, 217 hp is embarrassing. It's so slow, my X can outrun it. That, my friends, is pokey. Brits love it but it's unremarkable.

Yours is a 4.6? Yeah, I love a Disco 1 and 2, but really, the Disco 3 is the ultimate. Best vehicle LR has ever made in my opinion. So, so good--at everything. And bulletproof.

I've had mine 12 years now, currently 206,000 miles.

OK, enough drift.
Take the Disco conversation over to NFC, if you choose to continue.
This is about changing conservatorship of a unique X.

Back