Weekend wrenching...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Took care of some Budget Scorpion details this weekend. Dr. Wifey was at a class, kiddo was at a sleepover, so in addition to Cowboys and Aliens, pizza and beer I got some stuff done in the garage.

First was installing a good used fuel tank 2-way (or is it 3-way?) valve. This little gizmo is pretty clever and hold fuel vapors in the tank until a certain pressure (I'm guessing about 2-3 psi) is reached then it vents to the charcoal canister. Under the slightest vacuum, it allows fresh air in to replace consumed fuel.

IMG_1071-1.jpg

With this and the previously re-sourced fuel vapor separators, and new lines, the only evap emissions part missing is the charcoal canister which I've finally sourced from DJ, the Lancisti site owner. No more smelly garage for, me no sir!

Next up I used stainless steel rivets to secure the mudsill plates which were missing some of the stock plastic rivets and getting snagged by the door weatherstrip upon opening.

IMG_1073.jpg

Next I fitted a small solid brass hing to the front of the driver's side tension strap as I've seen done before on other Scorpions. The top strap is a plastic "living hinge" design, so the question is more when will it break not if. I used stainless rivets here as well and re-secured the clever cloth cover with Weldwood contect cement. Now I can use the soft top, which had been glued shut with a dab of polyurethane caulk for some months after my dad accidentally ripped the cloth cover which was all that was holding this together.

IMG_1074.jpg

While I had the contact cement out I glued some loose carpet back around the footwells as well as the glove box vinyl covering edges. All in all a satisfying time.

Bit by bit.

Funny how some rip stuff out and others find value in what was removed and put it back.

Nice to see as always. Keep at it.

Karl

Back