Weekend wrenching..

budgetzagato

Administrator
One thing leads to another...

I started out doing a little more fill & paint to my "yucky" door, and a spot on the engine lid. Then I decided to paint the black nose/headlight covers/corners, but in prepping for that (found some holes in the Nose panel gel coat that needed filling) I wanted to clean and paint the radiator, since it had some red (?) overspray. So I spent some quality time picking out sand and bugs before hitting it with flat black.

And so it goes.

More...

Tonight's kitchen table project. Putting protective film on the Scorpion's H4 headlights. Doing it indoors to warm up the glass and the film. This is what goes on when the family is away. This and pizza and a movie. And an adult beverage.
IMG_0304.jpg

Done for now...

Ashamed of some of the larger rusty failed-repair areas on my car, I started tackling them last weekend.

While I was finishing that this weekend, I thought I'd repaint the black nose/headlight eyelid sections. Before Ore'12 I thought they were metal but it turns out they're plastic, and in desperate need of paint as well. I masked them off and sanded out some imperfections, and applied several coats of satin black. They look great except where I scratched the center nose paint reinstalling the headlight eyelids. I tried to touch-up the scratches but it just got worse, so I'll pull that panel later and re do it.

While I was doing that, I removed the grille and cleaned the radiator of tiny rocks and bugs, and straightened most of the bent fins. Painted that stuff flat black so it hides and transfers heat better.

The best part of all of this is that I finally figured out how a lot of this stuff goes together. This will help in the future and I also found a (factory?) mistake; the right and left sides of the metal grille were attached to the plastic grille's stainless adapters incorrectly. The top and bottom are different, and on the driver's side they were swapped top-to-bottom, creating a slightly skewed grill that couldn't be aligned correctly. Very frustrating when you notice that kind of thing.

I drilled out the chalky aluminum rivets on the clips and put them in their correct places, and just happened to have the correct (two different sizes) rivets to reassemble. Finally the grille is straight. :)

Gregory,

I enjoy your posts. My posts should be titled, "What I broke off the Scorpion Today".

Yesterday it was
One headlight bucket,
Outer nose band pieces.

Plus side is the center nose band came of okay.

Today it will most likely be the central cooling tunnel.

Back