Weeping gearbox

Can't wait to get back to work on the spider and hang out at MIRA where the members are older, more mature....and tend to fall asleep in the middle of a thread if it's nap time.

If this is the source of the leak, would you use a stud with Teflon tape or just a bolt with Teflon tape?

I always replace those three motor mount bolts with studs. I have experienced leaks and stripped threads due to repeated servicing over the years, and the studs prevent that. Loctite on the stud is enough to seal the threads from leaking.

Paul

Well, it seems that was not the source of the leak, although the responses above were interesting. I think now it is coming out one of the threaded holes that is used to attach the motor mount.
View attachment 22858

On the lower right threaded aperture I see fresh lubricant (notice the paper towel is wet just below it). You may recall that on one of the (many) installs of the drivetrain I complained that the shifter was stuck, would not move and someone suggested that I may have used a bolt that was too long. I had, and a shorter bolt freed up the gearbox. Was this originally a blind hole and forcing the long bolt to tighten may have cracked the trans body and created the leak source? I'll verify tomorrow with a bolt with sealer on it installed in the hole. If this is the source of the leak, would you use a stud with Teflon tape or just a bolt with Teflon tape?

That person was probably me. That is supposed to be a blind hole but putting a longer bolt in it and binding the shifter always breaks the bottom out of the hole and causes a leak. Either teflon tape or RTV on the stud's threads will seal it up. Flush with brake kleen first.

Back