Weird clutch action

carl

True Classic
Hit the starter on my X and it lurched backwards (I always start with clutch in and the car was in reverse). Odd, never did that before, did I step on the brake pedal by accident? Put the car in neutral and it started up no problem. Went for first gear and it graunched terribly. Revved the motor a couple of times and everything was normal and off I went for a 30 minute drive with no problem. Never had that happen before and have no clue what was going on. I really don't think I was stepping on the brake pedal. The car had been sitting for a week outside but I have left it outside many a time with no such issue.

If I really was stepping on the brake pedal then at near 72 it's time to hang it up and get a Miata with auto.

RUST. The flywheel to the clutch. Cleans up quickly once it breaks free. Happen on my Spider when the car was on dollies. Thankfully I started in neutral. This is the day Tim bought the spider.

That or some grit/grundge got into the clutch to pressure plate area.

Rust isn’t a bad possibility.

Could also be a clutch slave cylinder issue whereas the few times pumping bled a bit of air out and got it working again. Over time, the leak allows more air in to be repeated in the future I would think.

Like old BSA and Nortons where you kicked through the motor with the clutch pulled to loosen the clutch!

Just confused the hell out of me as I had never had this happen. Will be interesting to see if it happens again. Thanks for confirming it was probably not me stepping on the wrong peddle.

I've had the disc get stuck to the flywheel/pressure plate before. Car was in a really humid environment for a few days - had to break it free (started the car up in the air, wheels spinning and got the engine RPM up while in gear, put in neutral and hit the brakes - boom, released quite quickly.

Mike, no doubt.
Myron, I live in Virginia where high humidity is our state weather. Actually we did have some very wet weather recently.

Clearly the solution is a bigger garage so I can keep all my toys in the garage.

Clearly the solution is a bigger garage so I can keep all my toys in the garage.
Time to talk to your children, not your wife, about a larger garage. They will end up with the house someday.

"Adding a garage to your home is one of your best options for adding to the property’s resale value through improvements or additions. In comparison, a bathroom remodel recoups 54 percent of the project cost on average. However, a few improvements or additions create statistically better returns than a garage addition. For instance, a major kitchen remodel recoups 68.9 percent of the cost, while a wood deck addition will pay back 77.3 percent of the amount invested. "

Todd, there is no room on my lot to add to my garage or build an additional one. Half the people in my county don't even use their garages to park cars. A house a few miles from the shore with a three or four car garage would be ideal...for me...the wife would still stay in our current house which is, on average 1.72 miles from each of our three daughters...and six grandchildren.

A house a few miles from the shore with a three or four car garage would be ideal...for me...the wife would still stay in our current house
I think every married man would agree; a house near the shore, a big garage, and the wife living in another house would be ideal.

(I always start with clutch in and the car was in reverse
a manual car must be started in neutral..first lesson of driving school in italy (where automatic cars are virtually non existant..) i also depress the clutch pedal to make easier for the starter motor to rev the crank

Back