Welcome to Xweb V3

Welcome to Xweb V3! :)

From what I can see you have lost one of the most interesting bits of information about forum members and that is their location in the world.

Other than that I think it looks great. Thanks for the hard work!

Warren
Sydney, Australia

Last edited:
From what I can see you have lost one of the most interesting bits of information about forum members and that is their location in the world.

Other than that I think it looks great. Thanks for the hard work!

Warren
Sydney, Australia

Hi Warren,

I noticed that. You have to click on the profile picture to find that info now. Perhaps it is something that can be modified in the code. I will put it in Mark's list of things to look at.

The new home page includes a link to the old V2 forum, saying that it is now read-only. However, that link (and all other links into the old forum) don't give take you to a read-only copy, they take you to the page directing you back to v3. Is this intended?

It's a problem because google hasn't indexed V3 yet, so google searches that should take you to xweb posts are a dead end.

The new home page includes a link to the old V2 forum, saying that it is now read-only. However, that link (and all other links into the old forum) don't give take you to a read-only copy, they take you to the page directing you back to v3. Is this intended?

It's a problem because google hasn't indexed V3 yet, so google searches that should take you to xweb posts are a dead end.

Thanks Eric - I've taken the old forum link off the xwebforums.com landing page. The old forum is now essentially closed. Eventually i'll redirect the xwebforums.org domain to the new URL, but I'm waiting on that until the Wiki is ported over. Even then, the thread IDs have changed so the the Google search cache will need to be updated.

Thanks Eric - I've taken the old forum link off the xwebforums.com landing page. The old forum is now essentially closed. Eventually i'll redirect the xwebforums.org domain to the new URL, but I'm waiting on that until the Wiki is ported over.
Does redirecting the xwebforums.org domain not mean that any posts that reference v2 content will be forever broken? For example, in post #2 of http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/trying-to-id-head-and-block.31103/ SteveC provides a link to another thread.... and that link is now broken. Likewise, all my browser bookmarks pointing to V2 posts are now dead.

We avoided this problem after the move from V1 to V2 by leaving V1 up but read-only, so that links and bookmarks still work. Is it not possible to do the same with the V2->V3 transition; leave v2 at xwebforums.org and readonly?

Last edited:
Does redirecting the xwebforums.org domain not mean that any posts that reference v2 content will be forever broken? For example, in post #2 of http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/trying-to-id-head-and-block.31103/ SteveC provides a link to another thread.... and that link is now broken. Likewise, all my browser bookmarks pointing to V2 posts are now dead.

We avoided this problem after the move from V1 to V2 by leaving V1 up but read-only, so that links and bookmarks still work. Is it not possible to do the same with the V2->V3 transition; leave v2 at xwebforums.org and readonly?

Correct, the migration process did not include combing through the existing content for deep links to other forum posts and re-pointing those to the new forum structure.

If at all possible, I would like to retire the old hosting before the end of our contract (late Jan 2017) to avoid having to shell out a substantial amount of money just to host old content. There is the possibility of hosting the old forum software at the new host with the old forum xwebforums.org URL redirected (once the Wiki is ported). This brings in some additional challenges since the old v2 software is circa 2008 and doesn't play nicely with modern server software ( this was part of the problem when we were down for several days in July after the host platform crashed).

I may try to do some custom queries to see just how many posts are affected. [Edit] the query says there are 2801 posts (of 234,163 total) with deep links to the old forum.

Last edited:
JimD,
I think we lost Repunzell (aka Bernice) with the switchover to v3.
I was trying to get her a part but then she dropped of the net before she PM'd me her address.
Anyway to PM her on XWeb v2?
V/r, Mike

Hi Mike,

Xweb 2.0 is locked down at this point, but I used my mod access to send her a PM to come on over to V3. Not sure she will see it, but I tried. Bernice is pretty sharp and I am sure she can find us over here. Perhaps she took an extended holiday? She has been known to disappear for a while from time to time.

If at all possible, I would like to retire the old hosting before the end of our contract (late Jan 2017) to avoid having to shell out a substantial amount of money just to host old content.
OK, that's a good reason - makes sense.
Th'ere is the possibility of hosting the old forum software at the new host with the old forum xwebforums.org URL redirected (once the Wiki is ported). This brings in some additional challenges since the old v2 software is circa 2008 and doesn't play nicely with modern server software ( this was part of the problem when we were down for several days in July after the host platform crashed).
Even if this infeasible, will we be able to capture/retain the mapping from old post id to new post id before we shut down v2, at least for the 2801 posts for which it matters? Without that information, the links will be irreparable forever.

Even then, the thread IDs have changed so the the Google search cache will need to be updated.
How long till that happens? Not a big deal, I'm just curious.... Long ago got in the habit of using Google site search on all the forums I hang out at... And I presumevt hat we're pretty much at Google's mercy here.

How long till that happens? Not a big deal, I'm just curious.... Long ago got in the habit of using Google site search on all the forums I hang out at... And I presumevt hat we're pretty much at Google's mercy here.
I think it can happen organically (I'm far from an SEO expert though) I've submitted a request for Google to crawl and re-index the new content now though.

JimD,
I think we lost Repunzell (aka Bernice) with the switchover to v3.
I was trying to get her a part but then she dropped of the net before she PM'd me her address.
Anyway to PM her on XWeb v2?
V/r, Mike
I have her address if you need it. You can PM me for it.

JimD,
Is there anyway to have Tapatalk pick up v3 as well? I used use that app on my iPhone.
V/r, Mike

JimD,
Is there anyway to have Tapatalk pick up v3 as well? I used use that app on my iPhone.
V/r, Mike

Mark has stated that Tapatalk will not be supported for V3. The V3 software is much better behaved on mobile devices, so you shouldn't need TT anymore.

Mark has stated that Tapatalk will not be supported for V3. The V3 software is much better behaved on mobile devices, so you shouldn't need TT anymore.

JimD,
But I use the mobile version of Tapatalk... I am confused.

I use Tapatalk because I have more than one forum I follow and it is nice to have them in one spot. Just a convenience thing.
V/r, Mike

Back