What’d ya do with your X120 today?

That sounds like a lot of work. Have you ever tried 1 grit cinder block?

A lot of work? A little machine sanding and polishing is nothing, when you've been sanding on this fiberglass for a couple years straight. This stuff is gravy at this point!

Never did any Derek Beiri 1 grit, but I will confess to some 80 grit on a belt sander.

I really enjoy seeing your updates, Pete. Paint is both labor intensive and emotional at the same time, making those moments when you burn through the paint on an edge really hard to take. Love the Stradale color on this one, much respect to you and your work on this car!

Over the past couple of months, I have been trying to refine the paint job, and do other odd jobs on the car. As far as the paint is concerned, it's far from perfect but I'm getting tired of messing with it. In the sun, it's a good 3 foot paint job. Under the LEDs in the shop, it shows a few more flaws. I don't know if I will continue to try to refine it from this point or not. Here's where it was by the end of the weekend.

IMG_3740.JPG

Tonight I put the front clamshell back on the car, and assembled most of the stuff that goes on it - headlights, blinkers, etc. Here is where it is at now.

IMG_3749.JPG

IMG_3748.JPG

IMG_3750.JPG

The back suspension is mostly put back together after final finishing. I still need to install the shocks, but I'm holding off on that until I get a rough suspension alignment in. And that really can't happen til the weight of the drivetrain is sitting on it. Reassembly of things that will facilitate drivetrain installation are happening next. Stuff like brake and clutch lines, gas tank and fuel pump. Those are in as of now, but lots more work to do back here.

IMG_3747.JPG

Last edited:
I now have a functioning speedo now. It feels so much better now that it’s working. I had to replace the speedo drive. I also adjusted the motor mounts again and got rid of most of the vibration.

Shift linkage modified for the FI intake clearance and the dreaded bushing job completed.

Attachments

• 942E0017-2ED8-4358-8800-F20A9BF799F1.jpeg
    942E0017-2ED8-4358-8800-F20A9BF799F1.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 10F8356B-DAC8-46FF-BBC2-E1E7666585E0.jpeg
    10F8356B-DAC8-46FF-BBC2-E1E7666585E0.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 81DC9AE5-844A-48FF-B42B-6447E0705CAC.jpeg
    81DC9AE5-844A-48FF-B42B-6447E0705CAC.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 64
This spring I removed the X1/9 coil overs and replaced them with new shocks, top mounts and monte springs. Shocks and mounts came from https://www.bielstein.com/Suspension_39

Replaced the steering rack with a new one from Midwest. New passenger front lower control arm. Just had the car aligned today. I think its time I let this car go. I like working on it and looking at it but driving not so much.
IMG_4013.jpeg
IMG_4016.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice. Now you need to post it in the fore sale department. I totally get the "I like working on it but don't enjoy driving it" vibe, that's why my spider will go up for sale, probably next week.

Very nice. Now you need to post it in the fore sale department. I totally get the "I like working on it but don't enjoy driving it" vibe, that's why my spider will go up for sale, probably next week.
Brett likes driving his.. maybe he should get two??

Back