What’d ya do with your X120 today?

Discussion in 'X1/20 Forum' started by Chad C., Oct 19, 2018.

1. RJ80

RJ80 True Classic

I can't find a shot quite that high in my collection. Probably the best way to get one would be looking straight down at the dash from through the windshield. Will keep that in mind next time I see one, maybe January at the Scottsdale auctions.

Pete Whitstone likes this.
  2. motoTrooper

motoTrooper True Classic

Thanks for the encouragement, will do my best to comply shortly!

lanciahf likes this.
  3. Chad C.

Chad C. True Classic

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Two liter twin cam baby, wooooooot! I'd emailed a response to a very brief CL ad that said "Fiat 124 parts, '79-81" & didn't hear anything for weeks. After my second response I was told that he had a 2.0 long block, then no reply from him. After pestering a bit more I was able to make the 60 mile drive out into the middle of nowhere, after dark, up a washboarded dirt road on a hillside... I was a bit worried, but I remembered that I've never had a bad experience with Fiat/Lancia people.

The old guy was super nice & had a very charming private commercial quality shop that any of us would be proud of. He put a complete 2.0 carb'd motor in the back of my a Volvo wagon with a cherry picker for $250. He said it was running well when he pulled it & he had plenty of visual credibility. I tipped him $10 ; ) Now I've got to somehow get my new treasure out of my Volvo. It's gonna look super sweet in the parking garage at the hospital I work at tomorrow with the motor tied upright inside of it : ) Full of LEGOS, a child seat, Goldfish crackers and an Italian sports car motor. Awesome.

Thanks for sharing my joy, and you're quite welcome to make fun of my new mustache. I've been laughing my ass off at it for days!

Attached Files:

4. Jefco

Jefco Daily Driver

Congrats Chad; I just got one for the 124 coupe.
    The hair does the gray well.

5. think jedi

think jedi Daily Driver

Nothing puts a smile on my face seeing someone put a dirty engine in the back of a wagon. :D

tJ

6. think jedi

think jedi Daily Driver

motoTrooper came over today and we did a little trading. I know have a complete frunk carpet, which I'll be installing after I clean it up. I also cut the shanks down on the connecting nuts I used to hold the shock tower garnishes on by chucking them up in my drill press and using it as a poor man's lathe. Reinstalled them, replacing the drill stops I was using as shims with neoprene washers. Looks a lot cleaner.

shocktower7.jpg

tJ

motoTrooper likes this.
  7. Pete Whitstone

Pete Whitstone True Classic

More changes to the center console. I was not happy with either the texture treatment or the "reveal line" between the console and its surround. So I peeled off the fiberglass on the surround and sanded back to smooth. I think I will probably talk to an upholsterer about covering it in suede. I also added metal to the carrier frame to address the reveal. Another thing I did was take an attempt at creating the "lens" that goes between the levers. I could only do the right side, since I'm not sure yet how the levers on the left side will operate. It came out ok I think. I am looking at how to adopt the fiber optic lighting harness to backlight these. The white images on it are sandwiched between 2 layers of polycarbonate which are epoxied at the sides to keep dust and dirt out.
    IMG_2516.JPG

motoTrooper, think jedi and JimD like this.
  8. motoTrooper

motoTrooper True Classic

So many cool details, Pete. It's looking great and I think it was the right call taking it back and going with suede in the future.