What’d ya do with your X120 today?

I picked up the bumper locally, no front bumper to go with it. Thanks for the link, Pete. That'll come in handy.

Congrats on passing emissions, Mark! Still have the smog stuff hooked up with the factory carb on them? I'm lucky to have no required smog testing here, removing all the smog parts was rewarding.

I have so little time for this car, but I crack on with it at least weekly. The motivation I get here to persevere is valuable, it helps to see what others are up to with theirs.

No smog BS or carbs. Both have been fuel injected and CA BAR certified. Best way to have a drivable old car in CA. Carbs and my location don’t get along. Drastic altitude changes reek havoc with A-F ratios on carbs. Learned that at early age vacationing in WY and traveling from OH.

Congrats on passing emissions, Mark! Still have the smog stuff hooked up with the factory carb on them? I'm lucky to have no required smog testing here, removing all the smog parts was rewarding.

image.jpg

Smart move there. As much as I love carbs, You make a great argument for FI. BAR certification likely adds a lot of resale value to your cars for potential in-state buyers. I've yet to ever drive an injected Fiat/Lancia, but I'd welcome the chance.

I made some progress with the deck lid tonight while my six year old made a muddy mess of my house. Felt a bit guilty for my lack of supervision, which is what often keeps me out of the garage. Young George learned how to clean tonight...

Only one high spot on the lid shown on the lower right, and no other concerns. The high spot seems to have been factory because the deck lid frame is under it. Weird. It tapped in easily & took very little filler. SEM brand primer-surfacer is very nice, but not cheap. If you know of something cheaper & just as good that I don't have to use HVLP with, let me know. The staff at the local industrial paint supply store are very helpful & they know my boy by name : )

My pics show my slave laborer after initial sanding, prime'd, sanded, prime'd agin & guide coated with SEM guide coat. Likely not pictured in that order...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Not the most interesting post, but it keeps my momentum going.

I bought a golf club for my car. It's a 9 iron. Making a video this weekend about it...

Nice bodywork on the decklid, I love the shape on these. What color scheme are you going for?

I bought a golf club for my car. It's a 9 iron. Making a video this weekend about it...

Nice bodywork on the decklid, I love the shape on these. What color scheme are you going for?

Hmmm a 9 Iron. Look forward to the video

Not entirely sure on color/scheme, so far I know it will be period-correct. I suspect I won't know for sure until I buy the paint. I just hope I don't f- it up so bad that I'm embarrassed to show the end result.

Ok, gonna watch the Western now : )

Nothing on mine, but have an upcoming engine 2000 engine build for a customer and have begun compiling the parts for the build.
20190609_182310.jpg

Clockwise from the top...

Pistons Kolben Schmidt (mahle packaged) 5.2mm dome, the best quality cast pistons out there for a Fiat twin cam, and reasonable weight at 467 including rings. Gudgeon pins are Ross and just on 100g.
20190620_220841.jpg

Exhaust valves are sodium filled from a turbochasrged model of the engine, Inlet valves are genuine Volumex (much nicer back profile and the lightest factory 43.5 valve), Main bearings are original Italian made Clevite, front and rear crank seals in Viton from a turbocharged model, ARP head stud set, ARP rod bolt set, OE Fiat bolt only type rods (to be modified to take Chev SJ SB big end shells)

Some really nice genuine Italian 44DCNF webers
55536439_439855043427980_5713563795226361856_n.jpg

I've got a genuine Alquati Monte specific manifold (86M) to go with these.

A nice pair of Alquati (Pittatore) billet cams... A44/6/M are monte specific cams ... but these are not a "real" pair... the cam with the dist gear is actually a 124 (exhaust) cam and the cut of the spur gear is reversed to how it should be for an intake driven distributor... easy fix as we don't plan to use a cambox mounted distributor. These are Pittatore grind #201, 11.3mm lift, 295 degrees duration @ 0.4mm (but I'm going to be doing a proper measurement of them to be sure) quoted timing is 48/67 65/46 with lobe centre at 102.. but I won't be timing these up to those specs, and likely that I'll run a lower lift exhaust cam of similar duration (I have some 35/75 10.6 lift pittatores I might use one on the ex side
s-l1600 (5).jpg

Target is 150RWHP / 170 lb/ft crank torque, so should be a fun build.

SteveC

@fiatfactory Couldn't you just swap the the Scorpion's intake-driven distributor gear for a Fiat 124 exhaust drive gear and have it work?

If you think about how the distributor is positioned, compared to the camshaft... viewed from the front of the engine (looking from the crank nose end) on the monte the intake cam driven dist is to the "right" side of the cam which is rotating clockwise... for the 124 exhaust driven distributor it's to the "left" hand side of the cam rotating clockwise...the distributor is rotating clockwise in both cases, the cut of the gears is different to achieve this...if you put a 124 gear on the monte dist and fitted this on the intake side cam, the distributor would spin anti-clockwise.

SteveC

Had the real quarter lights and rear window cut out so they can be cleaned up and re-sealed. Removed the quarter light outer plastic surrounds...damaged one slightly (possibly fixable) but the other one made it fine. I'm starting the unenviable job of cleaning up the original butyl tape from the car. :/

tJ
IMG_1670.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1660.JPG

Hey Jedi, welcome to the cool kids corner! Awesome work on your Scorpion. BTW, looks like you got a human trapped in your car and he's running out of air...:D

Yep, that could be me...suffocating in the money pit that is a Scorpion. Better him than me. :)

Tonight I got 95% of the butyl tape off the rear window and the two side lights. Need to do a little more cleanup on the the sidelights and then it's Por15 time. :)

tJ

I damaged one of the window trim pieces for the rear quarter light, so I started doing a JB Weld repair on it. Not sure how it'll turn out, but I'll post pics if it looks like it'll work (should know tomorrow). The other quarter light trim piece was intact, so I cleaned it up and sprayed it with SEM black trim paint. Hands down, the best trim paint on the market. I also shot the other trim pieces (various vents and such) and they look amazing. The side moldings needed work too. For some reason, the driver's side of the car had dark anodized side moldings and the passenger side had chrome side moldings. If Sofia (my pet name for the car) could talk, she'd have many stories to tell. I shot a couple of pieces of the side moldings with the SEM trim paint and they are looking nice now.

tJ

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

so I cleaned it up and sprayed it with SEM black trim paint. Hands down, the best trim paint on the market.

Agree 100%, been using it and bragging on it for decades. Parts of my Scorpion I painted 20 years ago still look like day 1.

The car looks like it's coming along very well, good work.

Pete

Nice work there. Makes me think about the concerns regarding those windows. I don't have the skills or the budget to get that job done, but I plan to make this a no rain car. That'll limit its use here in the northwest, but I'm ok with that.

I coated the rear firewall with POR-15 during the interior restoration, it's good stuff that I've used for years. Thanks for picturing the SEM product number, I'll refer to that at some point.

Really liking your car in white, very clean : )

Thanks all! I do my best to get something done on the car every evening. Full disclosure, this car was a BAT feature back in 2016. At that time, it featured a tired paint job, bumpers from a Honda Accord (!), floors that were rotted out, firewall area that was covered with surface rust, decent leather seats, some kind of cheap generic black carpet, tired seat belts, broken rear view mirror, ANSA exhaust (with original exhaust in the frunk), a top that wouldn't open because it was screwed down because the latch was missing. Oh, and it actually ran. I'm sure I'm missing something, but suffice it to say, Sofia was a pretty needy car when I picked her up. I was unaware of her celebrity status at the time, but when I found her on CL on my own, so smitten I was with her, I bought her and set off to stripped her down for restoration. It took about 6 months of work in the evenings before she was ready to send off to paint. Then she sat at my paint guy's shop for 2 years. Yes. 2. Years. My mistake was telling him I wasn't in a hurry. Well, about 4 months ago, I got a call from him....the car would be ready in a week. I had to scramble to clear the garage to make room for her. Had to temporarily banish my beloved RX-7 to a car cover outside.

IMG_2383.JPG
IMG_2386.JPG

tJ

LOL...no need to worry. Those cars are built like California homes were in the 60s...loose. Plenty of air getting in there. And rain. Which explains all the wire brushing I needed to do.

tJ

Beautiful car! I am worried though that you appear to always have someone in the car suffocating!

Back