What’d ya do with your X120 today?

While I wait for at least a month, perhaps a little more, for the carpet, I have other things I can get done. First, I received a passenger side new Vitaloni Californian mirror. Clearly my old one and new one need to match, so I'll be painting them both. I'm undecided if I want to color match the mirrors to the body (which I think will look really good) or just paint them with trim paint.

vitaloni.jpg

I cleaned up the back of the engine bay where the spare tire mounts. The aluminum tray that sits in there (is bolted there, but my bolts were long gone) looked really sad, so I gave it a good cleaning and a spray of gloss black paint. A couple of weeks ago, I also pulled the valve covers, cleaned them up, and gave them a sprucing up.

engine-compartment.jpg

tJ

Nice progress tJ, I think the mirror bodies would look cool body color with the stems remaining black so they kind of "float" as it were. I am utilizing some motorcycle mirrors myself with that body color scheme in mind. In the next few weeks I am bringing my project Scorpion down to my new place as you and the other guys here are inspiring (and embarrassing :D) me with your progress. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Moto...don't feel embarrased. My project sat for over 2 years before I got around to picking it back up again.

Not much done tonight. In the Sofia's checkered past, someone had the ill-conceived idea to spray the front grill trim ring white, which looked ... like ass. When the paint guys got the car, I meant to have them strip the paint. Instead they painted it white again. Although it looked like a nice and clean job, I don't want it white. So this evening I got to work with a can of Jasco and started to strip the layers of paint off. I'm about 1/3 of the way there. Pics when it's done.

I also got the driver's side door handle on, so now I can open the door from the outside again....yay! OK, it's a little crooked, which I hadn't noticed until I looked at this pic. I undid the nuts and straightened the handle and all is good.

tJ

doorhandle.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like I'm monopolizing the thread with my posts that are clearly documenting my build, so I've opened a new thread (Scorpion #621 Resurrection). I will post here with brief synopsis' but the pics and such will primarily be posted in the new thread.

tJ

So yesterday, as I was reinstalling my locks on the door handles, I noticed with some dismay that they won't turn with the key due to the lock cylinders being rusted. I'm soaking them in Evaporust overnight, but if this doesn't free them up, are there any sources for replacement cylinders? Perhaps those from a Fiat will work?

tJ

So yesterday, as I was reinstalling my locks on the door handles, I noticed with some dismay that they won't turn with the key due to the lock cylinders being rusted. I'm soaking them in Evaporust overnight, but if this doesn't free them up, are there any sources for replacement cylinders? Perhaps those from a Fiat will work?

tJ

X1/9 lock cylinders are different than the Scorpion ones, I've been down that road. Not sure about other models.

Thanks for confirming that X1/9 cylinders wont work...that saves me some hassle. I think I got one working, but the other one is really crusty with rust. I can move the pins with a screwdriver blade and a hammer, but that's it so far. :/ I'll let it soak some more.

tJ

Well, I don't have 100% functional lock cylinders...most of the keys inside the cylinders don't spring back anymore. But I was able to de-rust them enough to get them flush on the cylinders so that I can get my key in and turn one of them. The other one accepts the key but won't turn. I've mounted that on the passenger side. The driver's side has a working lock now, but I don't dare put another key in there. Not ideal, but it'll have to do until I find a pair of replacement lock cylinders.

tJ

X1/9 lock cylinders are different than the Scorpion ones, I've been down that road. Not sure about other models.

Pete,
Do the X1/9 lock cylinders fit into the Scorpion lock holes? I understand the back end is different, but I have an idea, but it will only work if the X1/9 cylinders are the same diameter as those of the Scorpion.

tJ

Pete,
Do the X1/9 lock cylinders fit into the Scorpion lock holes? I understand the back end is different, but I have an idea, but it will only work if the X1/9 cylinders are the same diameter as those of the Scorpion.

tJ

I will have to measure. I'll get back to you in a day or two. I think there may also be a length difference.

Pete

I will have to measure. I'll get back to you in a day or two. I think there may also be a length difference.

Pete
Thanks Pete. If the length is different, please LMK what the difference is. That may not be as big of an issue. I know I can get the X1/9 locks and pawls, so I'm thinking if I replace the pawl on the Scorpion with the X1/9 pawl, I may be able to retrofit the X1/9 lock. That of course, will only work if the diameter of the lock is the same as that of the Scorpion.

tJ

Thanks Pete. If the length is different, please LMK what the difference is. That may not be as big of an issue. I know I can get the X1/9 locks and pawls, so I'm thinking if I replace the pawl on the Scorpion with the X1/9 pawl, I may be able to retrofit the X1/9 lock. That of course, will only work if the diameter of the lock is the same as that of the Scorpion.

tJ

OK was finally able to get into the shop for a bit today, it's been unseasonably cold here. I didn't get any direct measurements, because they just appear to be 2 different animals altogether. Some photos. Scorp on top, X1/9 on bottom:

IMG_2494.JPG

Note the difference in radial distance from the center of the pawl to the "nub". Disassembly of the X1/9 unit is also a little puzzling to me, it's easy to see how the Scorp unit comes apart. But this thing is not so easy to unlock, pun kinda intended.

IMG_2497.JPG

But weirdest of all is the thing the nub is on can rotate with relation to the key position on the X1/9 unit, while the Scorpion unit is clearly fixed in place with the key position. Note the sharpie mark.

IMG_2495.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG

So I'd say interchange between the two would be challenging at best. Let me know if you want any specific measurements, or if you want me to send you the X1/9 unit. If you can find a way to interchange them, I'd be thrilled, I haven't been able to lock my Scorpion in years and I can't find a set of door handles with keys. X1/9 stuff is much easier to find.

Pete

Thanks Pete...that helps a lot. The X1/9 lock probably won't work then. I'm looking at Alfa lock cylinders at the moment...we'll see how things go.

tJ

Nice repairs, How did you get the trim off to begin with?
Thanks

Repairs to my quarter light window trim have been successful. Using a technique I borrowed from Mototrooper, I used painter's tape to make a dam across the void where the chunk of missing plastic is. Then filled the voids with JB Weld from behind. There were 2 spots I had to repair.

View attachment 25543

I let it set up for about a couple of hours and then pulled the blue tape off. The repairs looked promising but still needed work. The JB Weld was still a little soft and thin, so I put the blue tape back on and used a broken hack saw blade as a support and clamped it down to the repair with the biggest void. I let that sit overnight.

View attachment 25544

View attachment 25545
View attachment 25546

The next day, I removed the clamps and blue tape and sanded the JB Weld. Then I filled the small voids and cracks with spot/glazing putty and sanded.

View attachment 25547 View attachment 25548

Once I was satisfied with the repair, I shot it with some trim paint.

View attachment 25549
View attachment 25550

tJ

Nice repairs, How did you get the trim off to begin with?
Thanks
The quarter trim? It was a pain...the easy part was drilling out the little rivet that held it in place. But that rivet didn't really do much compared to the butyl tape that was stuck to it. I had to cut the butyl tape that glued it onto the window frame with a sharp Xacto knife...carefully. The reason the trim needed to be repaired is that I broke it trying to take it off. :(

tJ

tJ
Have you tried a product called "KROIL" (creeping oil)? We have used it with some success.

Like your attention to detail! Car will be awesome when "done".

Back