What’d ya do with your X120 today?

Thanks! I've accumulated a huge collection from the internet. The one shot I cannot find is one that shows what the top of the dash looks like, specifically how and where the "woven fiberglass/foam" ends and merges into the windshield vent area. Got anything like that?
I can't find a shot quite that high in my collection. Probably the best way to get one would be looking straight down at the dash from through the windshield. Will keep that in mind next time I see one, maybe January at the Scottsdale auctions.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Two liter twin cam baby, wooooooot! I'd emailed a response to a very brief CL ad that said "Fiat 124 parts, '79-81" & didn't hear anything for weeks. After my second response I was told that he had a 2.0 long block, then no reply from him. After pestering a bit more I was able to make the 60 mile drive out into the middle of nowhere, after dark, up a washboarded dirt road on a hillside... I was a bit worried, but I remembered that I've never had a bad experience with Fiat/Lancia people.

The old guy was super nice & had a very charming private commercial quality shop that any of us would be proud of. He put a complete 2.0 carb'd motor in the back of my a Volvo wagon with a cherry picker for $250. He said it was running well when he pulled it & he had plenty of visual credibility. I tipped him $10 ; ) Now I've got to somehow get my new treasure out of my Volvo. It's gonna look super sweet in the parking garage at the hospital I work at tomorrow with the motor tied upright inside of it : ) Full of LEGOS, a child seat, Goldfish crackers and an Italian sports car motor. Awesome.

Thanks for sharing my joy, and you're quite welcome to make fun of my new mustache. I've been laughing my ass off at it for days!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 103
Congrats Chad; I just got one for the 124 coupe.
The hair does the gray well.

motoTrooper came over today and we did a little trading. I now have a complete frunk carpet, which I'll be installing after I clean it up. I also cut the shanks down on the connecting nuts I used to hold the shock tower garnishes on by chucking them up in my drill press and using it as a poor man's lathe. Reinstalled them, replacing the drill stops I was using as shims with neoprene washers. Looks a lot cleaner.

shocktower7.jpg

tJ

Last edited:
More changes to the center console. I was not happy with either the texture treatment or the "reveal line" between the console and its surround. So I peeled off the fiberglass on the surround and sanded back to smooth. I think I will probably talk to an upholsterer about covering it in suede. I also added metal to the carrier frame to address the reveal. Another thing I did was take an attempt at creating the "lens" that goes between the levers. I could only do the right side, since I'm not sure yet how the levers on the left side will operate. It came out ok I think. I am looking at how to adopt the fiber optic lighting harness to backlight these. The white images on it are sandwiched between 2 layers of polycarbonate which are epoxied at the sides to keep dust and dirt out.
IMG_2516.JPG

So many cool details, Pete. It's looking great and I think it was the right call taking it back and going with suede in the future.

Today I started to remove the interior from 0072. I was able to get the dash out in one piece, I was amazed.

d4.jpg

d3.jpg

d2.jpg

d1.jpg

That's such a familiar sequence of photos : )

Looks like a restorable car, but the pics of its strut towers in your thread are concerning. It seems you're moving forward with it, got plans for it?

No plans, just taking everything out of it. then maybe sell the shell. Too much rust for me. If I didn't pay for it advance I would have walked away from it. Total waste of time and money. I went to remove the rear calipers and surprise they were missing. The brake hose and emergency cable were cut. By the look of the layer of rust on the control arms the car probably sat out side. Not to mention the line of mud on the wheels and tires.

Car would be perfect for a 037 conversion. Anyone?

Removed the Monza pacesetter exhaust. I was wrong I thought it was a cobbled up beetle muffler. Loos like it was tailor made for a Scorpion or maybe its a X1/9 unit?
pacesetter.jpg

pacesetter2.jpg

Removed the head and a bunch of other stuff. Rear cross member has rust problems.
block.jpg

View attachment 27359 View attachment 27356 View attachment 27357 Two liter twin cam baby, wooooooot! I'd emailed a response to a very brief CL ad that said "Fiat 124 parts, '79-81" & didn't hear anything for weeks. After my second response I was told that he had a 2.0 long block, then no reply from him. After pestering a bit more I was able to make the 60 mile drive out into the middle of nowhere, after dark, up a washboarded dirt road on a hillside... I was a bit worried, but I remembered that I've never had a bad experience with Fiat/Lancia people.

The old guy was super nice & had a very charming private commercial quality shop that any of us would be proud of. He put a complete 2.0 carb'd motor in the back of my a Volvo wagon with a cherry picker for $250. He said it was running well when he pulled it & he had plenty of visual credibility. I tipped him $10 ; ) Now I've got to somehow get my new treasure out of my Volvo. It's gonna look super sweet in the parking garage at the hospital I work at tomorrow with the motor tied upright inside of it : ) Full of LEGOS, a child seat, Goldfish crackers and an Italian sports car motor. Awesome.

Thanks for sharing my joy, and you're quite welcome to make fun of my new mustache. I've been laughing my ass off at it for days!

Oh boy yet ANOTHER FIAT-Volvo thread! Paging Hussein, paging Hussein..... :) :)

As for the floors and back panel, I expected much worse.

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f4.jpg

f5.jpg

f6.jpg

Where does the rust on the rear interior bulkhead come from---leaky rear backlight or perhaps on the cars with the soft top, when the top leaks?

When that happens is it just the interior surface that gets attacked or is there a corresponding amount of rust on the engine compartment face of that panel as well?

I have to guess the origins of shock tower rust are the same on these as on most other cars, in that rust forms between the layers of the sheet metal stampings built up to create the load bearing structure for the spring/suspension mounting points (specifically the MacPerson strut spring tops)?

Where does the rust on the rear interior bulkhead come from---leaky rear back light or perhaps on the cars with the soft top, when the top leaks?

When that happens is it just the interior surface that gets attacked or is there a corresponding amount of rust on the engine compartment face of that panel as well?

There is a vertical lip on the bottom of the rear window and i think the water goes in that lip and leaks inside. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow. The water gets trapped between the rear shelf panel which the back side has sound deadening material which acts as a sponge. Scorpions usually rust from the inside out due to the water sitting in the sound deadening material. The rust on the engine compartment usually only shows when the inside of he car has totally rusted through.

Today I removed the block and trans in a brisk 30 degree weather. Dropped the combo from the bottom, since I did not have a lift.
e1.jpg

e2.jpg
e3.jpg
e4.jpg

Back