What’d ya do with your X120 today?

Last night I fixed the back tail light panel. The panel had many cracks, missing studs and a slat as also missing. I used JB weld to glue everything back together.
Question, I have horrible luck painting plastic..

1. What should I use to clean and prep the plastic
2. Which paint would be best to use.
Thanks!

scorp_backpanel1.jpg
scorp_backpanel2.jpg

SEM Trim Black is my go-to for all exterior black trim painting. Tough as nails, goes on easy. I personally would not use anything else, although Papa Tony highly recommends a rustoleum product that is designed for black trim.

It might be a bit hard to find, if your FLAPS does not carry it, then find a place that does body shop supply or order online. Kinda expensive for a spray paint at about $20 a can, but worth every penny.

Pete

Thanks Pete, Any hints on what to use to clean the plastic? I'm afraid to melt it with the usually products.

I would use a wax and grease remover type product, I think they are fairly gentle. Test on an inconspicuous area, as the saying goes. I would scuff the peice with some 400-grit or so, do the wax/grease remover, then paint with the SEM trim black, no primer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

While I was back there I noticed some bubbles in the engine compartment. Looks like my rust free Scorpion is not so rust free... again.

Anyway a bunch of pot marks in the metal and no rust through, see the dark areas. After I'm done etching do you think it would be okay to apply liquid steel to the areas and then sand level before applying paint.

t11.jpg

t22.jpg

Fixed the dead driver side window drive, finished design and build of the seat recliner drive, painted the seat frames.
Great how to on the window drive. Are you planning on a similar presentation on the seat back adjuster?

Yes, except the machined parts will be a problem for those without access to machine tools, spherical bearings and ... The entire item got redesigned with only the twist handle used, but modified.

IMO, the original design cannot work... at all. One thing that was learned from an Scorpiacarlo owner of more than 40 years, this problem is compounded by folks pulling up or pushing down on the seat adjuster. Push or pull with enough force instantly bends the ACME threaded part and often burst the plastic coupler at the end of the recline adjuster.

Bernice

Great how to on the window drive. Are you planning on a similar presentation on the seat back adjuster?

#209, Last week, took the nose apart to repair the corrosion at the battery box area. May as well do the Monte head light conversion since the nose is apart.

Lancia Monte convert prep-1.JPG

Lancia Monte convert prep-2.JPG

Lancia Monte convert prep-3.JPG

Bernice

Back