What’d ya do with your X120 today?

Do you still need those three lights?
Seems to me that on 90% of our cars, these 3 lights don't do anything anymore.

Nothing too exciting...put my sun visors back in. The hardest part about that was finding proper screws to work with the countersunk holes in the visor mounts.

I also noticed that the SLOW DOWN/REPLACE CATALYST/EGR lamp bezel on my console is missing a chunk.

View attachment 34800

I'm going to have a go at remaking it on CAD.

tJ
I was going to offer you mine but where the heck to they mount? Looking at my old pics I guess I didn't have them.

That bezel holds the 3 lights. The bezel attaches to the left side of the center console...the part that juts out. While I don't need the lights and don't expect them to ever light up, I do want the console to look nice. So I made this.

slowdown2.jpg
slowdown1.jpg

slowdown3.jpg

The bezel will have to cure in the sunlight tomorrow. I'll give a light sanding with 400 grit and a shot of paint, pop the lamps in there, and call it good.

tJ

So I didn't realize the EGR/SLOW DOWN/REPLACE CATALYST lamps were a California car thing. Most of the pics I see on the net don't show this cluster that is mounted on the side of the console in the driver's footwell.

I finished curing, sanding, and reinstalling the warning lamp cluster yesterday.

tJ

warninglamps5.jpg

When the car wants me to pull over for a cappuccino. :p

Actually, I believe it comes on when the catalytic converter gets too hot. None of these lights are ones you really want to see illuminate.

tJ

Took her out for a shakedown cruise and found I had a leaking expansion tank cap. The tank is from a Volvo 740 so luckily that's an easy part to get locally.

tJ

Dropped my car off at the paint shop. This has been a complete restoration down to bare metal. She will be kept her original metallic blue.

Attachments

• 5D997844-F9DE-4BAB-92EB-7D75BC64E083.jpeg
    5D997844-F9DE-4BAB-92EB-7D75BC64E083.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 9E1B8DC0-811E-458E-BE19-AABCC4C0423D.jpeg
    9E1B8DC0-811E-458E-BE19-AABCC4C0423D.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 154
Tried puzzling out how to get the fuel sender out of the tank with a full tank of gas without make a complete mess of gas everywhere and failed.

I did, however, fix my non-working turn signal indicator, hazard indicator, and one of the back light lamps on the cluster.

tJ

Pumped out 5 gallons of gas so I can safely pull the fuel sender from the tank. The garage reeks of gas now. Wife isn't going to be happy.

tJ

So I was home long enough to take some measurements of my heater core. Edstruz posted that he has some new ones (for a Fiat 131) which are the same dimensions as the Scorpion/Montecarlo! I will be replacing mine, and for the money it seems to be a no brainer.

So I was home long enough to take some measurements of my heater core. Edstruz posted that he has some new ones (for a Fiat 131) which are the same dimensions as the Scorpion/Montecarlo! I will be replacing mine, and for the money it seems to be a no brainer.

I will take one for my scorpion too please. Please let me know how to pay

Today I learned that the deck lid won't close if you try to use a 205/60/R13 as a spare tire. :rolleyes:

tJ

I hope the close attempt was gentle.

Most cars won’t accomodate a larger than OE spare, modern cars either don’t have one at all or a micro spare and a passenger will get to sit with the full size tire if it gets changed out.

An X will not accommodate a wheel deeper than the original (a 5” rim will fit, 4.5” is better) and a tire of 145/155 section is all that will fit and allow the cover to close properly.

My spare is going in the front, having 25/30 lbs floating high above and BEHIND the rear axle does not make sense. Maybe Mr. Pinn could have taken a peak at Nuccio's solution and borrowed it.

I hope the close attempt was gentle.

Most cars won’t accomodate a larger than OE spare, modern cars either don’t have one at all or a micro spare and a passenger will get to sit with the full size tire if it gets changed out.

An X will not accommodate a wheel deeper than the original (a 5” rim will fit, 4.5” is better) and a tire of 145/155 section is all that will fit and allow the cover to close properly.

Yes, it was gentle, and no harm was done. Just annoying to have to take off a perfectly good tire and get another one. :/

tJ

I've never considered keeping the spare in its OE place for the reasons described. I think the best solution for me is my AAA card in my wallet for any roadside concerns. If I plan to go beyond cellular coverage areas, I guess I could fit a spare in the frunk.

Driving it to a shop yesterday to sort out the rear wheel bearing and suddenly the car doesn't want to go into first or second gear. I pull it into the shop and pop the deck and find that a shifter bushing self-destructed. Luckily, I had ordered a set of 6 new bushings with the intention of replacing them all. I got lazy and didn't install them. Now my hand's been forced. :D

tJ

OK, so the rear wheel bearing retainer was complete garbage and I don’t have a replacement. Does anyone out there have a retainer? Chris Obert and MW Bayless don’t.
tJ

Back