What are these holes in the firewall?

carl

True Classic
86 Bertone
Looking into the spare tire well at the firewall:
1. 40mm (1.5") hole 2" to the left of the bottom of the distributor assess panel
2. 50mm (about 2") hole 4.5" to the right of the access panel.

I bought this as a stripped shell so have no idea of this was an AC car.

I have them taped over for now but looking for a passthrough for the two heater hoses since I don't plan to run them under the car (the heater is just temporary for the winter)

carl,

I went out and snapped a picture of the spare tire well in my non-AC 85. You are possibly looking at (1.) a heater hose hole and (2.) the hole for the FI harness. Maybe?

85_spare_tire_area2.JPG

Thanks, Jim, those are exactly the two holes I'm referencing. I may use each hole for a heater hose, the one on the left for the hose coming from the head and the one on the right for the hose coming from the waterpump tube. Now, where can I source the two rubber grommets?

carl,

How fancy will this heater install be? Are you shooting for a fully functional stock-ish set up to get heat and defrost? Or are you mostly looking for some heat? If just heat, you could stick any heater core between the seats with a 12V 120mm fan blowing thru it. I used to use chevette cores for water cooling PCs, I may have one laying around here somewhere.
wc_rebuild5.jpg

Chevette core, tupperware shroud, 120mm fan. Classy right? It would look good floating between the seats. :rolleyes: :)

Jim, that is impressive looking. I did not realize the Chevette's heater core was that small. O.K., way off topic (sorry) but how does the other half of your computer cooling work? You can reply to me privately if you don't want to waste everyone else's time here.

Stock X heater box (without fan) but no defrost plumbing. Only one cable, to open and close fresh air vent. Will post pics soon

Carl, I am looking at re-routing the heater hoses on mine also. I already have the stock ones but want to get both out of the passenger cabin. So I'm thinking of running two metal pipes in the box below the tunnel, along side the larger coolant tubes. One is already there with the stock layout, so I'll just add the second with it. This will also allow me to run the flex hoses from under the pan directly into the engine bay without going through the spare tire well. For me the goal is to reduce cabin heat for the vast majority of the year (we only need heat for a few weeks in the deep winter...still quite warm here even now....but AC is mandatory for 9-10 months). I found 1/2" copper plumbing pipe has the same 5/8" OD and easy to work with for forming such heater lines; lots of pre-shaped fittings that solder on.

Is this type access panel (below) typical of the later FI cars? I don't mean are 'access panels' typical, but this particular type with the raised (3D) contour projecting into the cabin (see arrows). The one on my '79 is flat.
85_spare_tire_area2.JPG

Yes the Bertones have that panel. My goal is the opposite of yours, the heater will be installed as a temp item for the winter and it's easier to make a passthrough into the cabin in that firewall since there are already two holes there. I have an open coolant line box on the bottom of the car and had pulled both steel heater lines as they both had rusted through. My heater lines will have no metal, just long lengths of standard heater hose. Pictures coming, I promise.

Yes the Bertones have that panel. My goal is the opposite of yours, the heater will be installed as a temp item for the winter and it's easier to make a passthrough into the cabin in that firewall since there are already two holes there. I have an open coolant line box on the bottom of the car and had pulled both steel heater lines as they both had rusted through. My heater lines will have no metal, just long lengths of standard heater hose. Pictures coming, I promise.

How about adding a lever ball valve to the setup? Just install in the hose to the heater and you will be able to adjust or stop the flow of hot water (heat) for less than $3.00.

I could do that but with the cowl inlet closed it doesn't matter if the heater core is still hot.....kind of like a 124 spider when engine heat heats up the trans tunnel. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Back