What Are Your Tire Pressures, and Why?

OK, I'll start.

My Owner's manual sez 29 psi front, 32 psi rear. But the owner's manual also thinks the car came with 165/70-13 tires. I find that with the Achilles 122 tires in 185/60-13 I have now, for your average leisurely "motoring" along the shamefully maintained roads around Philadelphia, 29/32 yields a hard, jarring feel to sharp-edged road irregularities. I have been running 28/31 for a couple of weeks and as expected, that hard edged feel has been diminished to a degree that I can feel.

I run 185/60/14's. For around town I run 28 front 30 rear which gives a nice ride.
For long trips I bump up the pressure for better fuel mileage. 30 front, 32 rear.

Due to modifications my car is closer to 50/50 weight distribution so I run 31 psi on all four corners.
Came to this over time after running different pressures and guess work.
Just keep an eye on tread wear when experimenting.

It's rather clear from above that preferred tire pressures vary a lot based on personal taste and chassis mods. I think 28/30 is a fair starting point and it appears almost everyone runs a few pounds more in the rear tires. In the old days a few years ago when I was much more fun, I would run pressures in the 40s on my spiders/Xs/128 when I ran track days on my street tires. Made for a terrible ride home if I forgot to lower them back down to my street pressures before leaving the track.

32 front. 35 rear. When I'm driving it I'm not too worried about a smooth ride. And I used it to commute from near Omaha to Lincoln (it just has the best economy of my vehicles) most of the spring.

Back