What color bumpers would look best?

770mark

Low Mileage
Though I've been reading this forum for years, this is the first time posting anything and I'm hoping you can help. After seeing the application here several years ago, I decided to go with modified 1968 Camaro bumpers. The modifications are fairly easy and I really like the clean look compared to the original huge bricks that came with the car. Unfortunately the chrome on the bumpers gets damaged when doing the modifications necessary to make them fit. Replating the chrome would be too expensive so I plan to paint them but cannot decide whether they should body color (silver) or satin black?
What color do you think would look best?
Bumper1_copy_1599x1199.jpg
Bumper2_copy_1465x1098.jpg
Bumper3_copy_1464x1098.jpg

Beautiful! Either would work very well. But I like the black with the black wheels but also like the chrome for the same reason! So you could paint them a chrome color - it really looks like chrome. I'd say the chrome is more retro.

You need a build page!

Last edited:
I think black would look a bit too stark on a sliver metallic car. And body color would look like you are trying to hide the bumpers. Perhaps you could try a chrome spray paint? I've seen a couple of Youtube videos where this came out nice - and a few where it did not come out quite that nice.

Personally I would go with satin black and do the same with the rest of the trim which would be appropriate for an 85 which may have come with those parts blacked out from the factory. Alternatively a nice dark gray metallic could work.

Going monochromatic would be odd, these parts are the jewelry of the car and should act as such.

I like this mod, it works well and brings the car back in time closer to its inception. They are a little soft as they lack a little bit of a flat surface. They are a bit more in character with the 124 and 850.

I would try to minimize the prominence of the mounts capping where the bumper shocks were. My eye was drawn to the flat surface and the fastener in the middle of it, the front in particular. Perhaps a ‘driving’ or fog light could live there or something to act as a DRL to increase visibility.

Edit: On the rear I would look at painting the mounting tab under the bumper black to match the rubber trim or printing and painting black a transition to cover it to fair into the existing rubber trim part. On the front consider removing the tow hooks unless they become more discrete by adding a light above them.

Another version of these bumpers in black on a red car for reference, modified: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/here-is-another-k20-swap.35927/post-367016

I would suggest considering filling the side marker depression to take away an absent relationship between the bumper and the recess. Using a small round side marker would be good here, the ones off of a early 70s Chrysler/Plymout would be good there as they are nearly flush versus the nipples the Italians used. I would chase that detail to the front as well though the problem isn’t as pronounced there.

Great work on this car. I really like the stance and the wheel’s relationship to the body. Great choices all around.

That is one very clean windshield!

Last edited:
With the black wheels, engine cover, roof and trim, I think black is the way to go. Plus its appropriate for the later Bertones

I'm going to vote for satin black. Even if re-chroming were in the budget, I think the satin black just works on your build. The car is coming out amazing, and having done custom bumpers on a few different builds over the years, I appreciate the tremendous effort all the cutting and fitting takes. It's your build so whatever further tweaks you make is strictly your call, but I have to tag along what Karl pointed out about the rear marker light depressions. For a "factory" level of symmetry, the rear bumper looks to be sitting about 1/2" too high. I think, from looking at your mounting arrangement dropping it slightly won't be that big an issue. I'm going to assume you originally chose that height originally to clear the marker light? There are 2 ways to deal with the marker. One is as Karl suggested, just fill in the depression. The other is more complicated but allows you to keep the original marker light if that detail is important. The bumper can be sectioned so that the rounded ends terminate short of the marker location. Adds a few more cuts and a couple of additional welds, but lowering it will maintain your "line" from front bumper to rear bumper. If you don't do a thing it will still look great, so don't take what I say too seriously. I have a hyper-critical eye - it's an affliction I can't seem to shake.

I just noticed this is your second post on Xweb.

First off, welcome. Secondly, this is an amazing introduction to your project. Thank you for sharing this.

Would you be willing to share more of what you have done or are doing?

Looking forward to more on your car.

I agree with the others about this being a very nice mod for the X. Typically I prefer no bumpers on these cars, but I do like this option a lot and have been considering it on one of mine for awhile. I realize doing body work is a major project, but ideally it would be nice to eliminate the exposed mounting holes and extra bits where the stock bumpers were. Same with the side marker recesses. ;)

As for the bumpers finish. If you can, metalwork those welded seams to make them smooth and flush. Otherwise they will still show even when painted. If you go with painting them, the "chrome" paint option is very dependant on the product/technique you choose. In my personal opinion the chrome colored paints do not look good. But there is a chrome effect that is like painting, and looks really good. However it is not a DIY process as it requires some large expensive equipment to apply. But it is a lot less costly to have done than real chrome.

Another option might be to wet sand the existing chrome to give it a "brushed" look. This could hide the welded seam depending on how well they have been metalworked first. In this case I am not talking about using any fillers, but making the seams in the metal flush by welding and grinding them to a smooth finish. It takes multiple attempts with the welder, and multiple steps of finer and finer abrasives to get it nice, but the seams will disappear. Then the brushed finish blends them with the rest of the bumper.

Also you can "wrap" them. There are a lot of excellent finishes available in wrap materials. Including chrome, various brushed effects, various other metals effects (copper, aluminum, magnesium, etc), and much more. With a wrap you can use filler materials to help hide the welds first.

If you use regular paints to finish them, be sure to thoroughly scuff the existing chrome first, then use a good primer. Otherwise paint does not stick to chrome very well. I'd go with a black color of some type. But then I'd do the same process for all of the other chrome on the car so it is all consistent.

Nice work, car is looking excellent. :)

By the way they do make fiberglass versions of these bumpers, more costly but easier to work and modify. Of course they would have to be painted or wrapped (which would be a good way to get a finish on them in either case, nice call Dr.Jeff)

If the chrome on the rest of the bumper is good and you want to save it you could make a stainless clip similar to the one on the chrome trim above the rear window.
Make it big enough to cover the marks from the mod and then buff it to a shinny finish.
You will have to do some serious sanding on the chrome to get paint to stick properly.
I don't know much about wraps but that could be the thing to do.

Thanks for the input!! I discounted "chrome" paints thinking they were pretty bad, but after looking at a few last night, they have come a long way so that might be an option. It's hard to see in the photos, but there are several mounting holes in the bumpers that had to be welded up and ground back smooth so leaving the existing chrome is not an option. My plan was to scuff the entire surface, give them a couple coats of 2K primer and block them smooth so none of the welding work should be evident once painted. It's down to either chrome paint or satin black and a final decision will probably come down to the cost of the chrome paint supplies. I'm leaving all the original holes in the body so it can be taken back to original if wanted. I'll modify and paint bolts body color so they'll hardly be noticeable once installed.
I do have photos of most of the work done so far and would enjoy sharing them if it would help anyone. It's been a fun project!!. I removed the original rivet on side moldings and welded up the holes. I then blocked the body straight and primed the entire thing fixing any small dings along the way. Made a new wooden front airdam, took a mold from it and made the fiberglass one on the car now. The engine has been ported with 10:1 compression, a big cam, dual 40 DCNF webers, lightened flywheel, a custom air box, a stainless header and custom exhaust.
Thanks again for the input!

By the way they do make fiberglass versions of these bumpers, more costly but easier to work and modify.
I wasn't aware of that, but I'm not at all surprised given all the things that are available for muscle cars. Good idea for a basis to modifying them, and very light weight as well. ;)

you could make a stainless clip similar to the one on the chrome trim above the rear window
I like that idea a lot. However I know from previous bumper modification projects that there is often more damage done than just a simple welded seam to hide. For example....
there are several mounting holes in the bumpers that had to be welded up and ground back smooth so leaving the existing chrome is not an option
But I do have one customized bumper for another make of vehicle that only needs to be narrowed. So it will just need a section taken right out the middle, with only that seam. Therefore not only would the trim cover work for that, but I might even make it the attachment for the seam instead of welding the halves together.

Where would be the correct place to open a "build thread" , here or the "workshop" forum?
Funny you should ask that. I recently suggested there should be a section just for build threads. That way they have their own home without distracting from the more technical discussions. Until that happens the "discussion" section seems best to me.

Sounds like you have a very nice project. ;)

As artists my wife and I have adapted a motto of " If you screw it up cover it up".
It came from giving craft classes.
A student would do something like a slip of the eXacto knife and make an unintentional mark that couldn't be sanded out.
We would say, okay measure it off and make another mark like it on the other side, or have them make several marks so it looked intentional design.
I have used the method in my own projects.
I like that idea a lot. However I know from previous bumper modification projects that there is often more damage done than just a simple welded seam to hide. For example....

But I do have one customized bumper for another make of vehicle that only needs to be narrowed. So it will just need a section taken right out the middle, with only that seam. Therefore not only would the trim cover work for that, but I might even make it the attachment for the seam instead of welding the halves together.

Funny you should ask that. I recently suggested there should be a section just for build threads. That way they have their own home without distracting from the more technical discussions. Until that happens the "discussion" section seems best to me.

Sounds like you have a very nice project. ;)

I’m with Dan and Jimmyx, don’t like them especially the rear one . It’s too high as is the front and does not fit the rear detailing seam line that drops below the bumper. The rear and front was designed for quarter bumpers anything else looks wrong IMHO.

Back