What coolant do you prefer?

Living in Arizona, not concerned about freeezing, water is pretty good. However I always use notox, keeps animals safe.

It's not just about preventing freezing. Antifreeze also has anti-corrosion inhibitors. You want IAT type which is the good ol' green stuff. Don't use OAT or HOAT which are meant for newer vehicles and are extended life. Use de-ionized water for dilution which is often available at auto parts stores where you get your antifreeze. Check manufacturer's TDS info. for type before buying. Some labels don't say exactly what's in it.

I like using ethylene glycol thats about 98% concentrate, and mixing it myself at 50/50 with de ionised water. Often no good for circuit racing as a lot of tracks don't let you use glycol as it gets very slippery like oil if spilt on the track.

SteveC

It's not just about preventing freezing. Antifreeze also has anti-corrosion inhibitors. You want IAT type which is the good ol' green stuff. Don't use OAT or HOAT which are meant for newer vehicles and are extended life. Use de-ionized water for dilution which is often available at auto parts stores where you get your antifreeze. Check manufacturer's TDS info. for type before buying. Some labels don't say exactly what's in it.

As long as you completely and thoroughly flush the system first, isn't it okay to switch to the more modern longer lasting HOAT type?

Is there any downside to doing so?

Whatever coolant you get, NEVER mix orange Dex-Cool with any other coolant. Ask me how I know........

Whatever coolant you get, NEVER mix orange Dex-Cool with any other coolant. Ask me how I know........
Never even use Dex-cool. Ask me how I know.....
GM makes a special coolant flush to get the dex-cool sludge out of your system.

I had a 98 Ford Ranger 4x4 that came from the factory with Dex-cool and specified it for coolant changes. I used Dex-cool for the changes and never had an issue. I think it gets weird if you mix it with something else. The truck had close to 200K on it when I got hit by a semi on the freeway.

I had a 98 Ford Ranger 4x4 that came from the factory with Dex-cool and specified it for coolant changes. I used Dex-cool for the changes and never had an issue. I think it gets weird if you mix it with something else. The truck had close to 200K on it when I got hit by a semi on the freeway.
Yes, it gets weird, as in, it forms a thick gray sludge throughout your entire cooling system. Ruined one of my previous X1/9s.

Back