What did you do to your 850 today?

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
<ok so stolen thread title :) >

Today I put the soft top front gasket on, even took some pictures, which I'll post later. I put in the front drain hoses, and even put on the engine compartment rubber gasket.

Next up: installing both door gaskets...

I saw mine peaking out from behind a pile of boxes in my garage. Sadly I doubt I will see much more of it until late June. Or my X1/9 for that matter. Ugh, I am tired of work.

I saw mine peaking out from behind a pile of boxes in my garage. Sadly I doubt I will see much more of it until late June. Or my X1/9 for that matter. Ugh, I am tired of work.

Take a Picture of your car behind boxes. I will take a pic of mine. Lets see who has the most boxes stacked on top...LOL....:italia:

I try to keep the boxes off it, but the boxes around it make for a very tight fortress...

Unfortunately there are boxes on top of the X1/9 :mad:

Started unearthing buried 850 treasures:

I had all the trim rechromed back in 1995. This stuff hasn't seen daylight since then.

Are we still asking "what did you do with your 850 today"?

I've been driving mine, a lot. And brought it to our local Cars & Coffee show, three times in the last month. Always amazes me how many people look at and comment on the car, with all the other amazing and sometimes very high-dollar cars there (like this past Saturday, not one but TWO McLaren F1s, etc. --- you get the idea).

I think most folks can relate much better to a car they could actually afford, or maybe even once owned when they were younger, than to the multitudes of quarter-million dollar (an up) machinery at these shows.

Great post Dave!

I've experienced the same. Drove it to a very busy gas station and a 328 GTS pulled in alongside me...Ferrari guy was great. But three younger folks (I'm 60) came over and asked me what the 850 was.

I went to one Cars n Coffee in St Petersberg FL I think...I had my yellow X there, but when I talked to folks and said I had an 850, they wanted me to bring that next time instead of the X. The 850 just seems to be a very approachable car.

Once I move (next two weeks) I am going to attack that car in the garage and get her on the road for the 4th of July....

Jinxed myself! Blew the head gasket yesterday (note, engine has 70K miles and has probably never been rebuilt). Ah well, looks like I've got a few hours of reasonably pleasant wrenching to look forward to.
icon10.gif

Looks great. Which color is that? Fiat or ?

It's called Coastal Blue; not a stock color. Here's a better picture of the color:

I debated about painting it the original red, but as they say, the world doesn't need another red Italian car.

Nice choice. My Sport Coupe is the Mediteranean Blue which I love. Yours looks like the light blue they had on the 124 Spiders about that time versus the 'true' blue they had on the coupes. When I was in school a woman drove a 124 Spider about that color.

Its going to be beautiful. You're right the world does not need another red Italian car.

Beautiful blue...and my day

I had my 850 towed from the house I was renting in Mashpee to the house I just purchased in Pocasset.

The car made it ok, BUT...

it leaked both fuel and OIL when lifted from the rear. Is that normal or did the towing guy break my engine?

I don't think he did you any favors. An 850 shouldn't leak anything when being towed.

How did he pick it up?

Back