What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

So not just best in the "other" category, but best overall in the whole show? Excellent! Almost seems like the award should be a little more sizeable for a BIS winner, not to mention it should have been given to you onsite rather than 9 months later. But still a very honorable prize. 🏆 Congratulations!
I was told that I definitely won overall best in show. I was skeptical, but here it is. This is an annual charity event and the awards are all the same size.

It arrived with a nice handwritten note from the charity's board president congratulating me on the win and also apologizing for the "extreme delay".

I was told that I definitely won overall best in show. I was skeptical, but here it is. This is an annual charity event and the awards are all the same size.

It arrived with a nice handwritten note from the charity's board president congratulating me on the win and also apologizing for the "extreme delay".
Congratulations!!!! So funny that so many of these "car guys" have thier cars delivered on a trailer rather then driving them to the show.

Yesterday was my second track day. This time on the Folembray circuit (2 hrs drive). My wife and I took the leap of faith regarding the X’s reliability and drove only the X to track (and back!), but I did manage to motivate a friend with a 2016 Nissan Z350 convertible to participate to the track day event, just in case.
IMG_20240324_202953.jpg

The circuit is uphill from n° 1 to 3 and downhill from n° 3 to 5, with two hard braking moments, one uphill at chicane n° 2 (at about 140 kph for my X ) and one downhill before turn n° 5 (at about 160 kph), the rest is basically high speed. There were many (more then 10) Porsches, most GT3s and GT4s, a Lotus Exige, a Mustang Fastback, and three Renault Sport Clio RS, besides the latter most vehicles had easily two, three or more times the horsepower of my 1.8 16v X.
Folembray Circuit.png

It was raining at first but it became dry by 14h. Driving on Nankang NS2R when it’s really wet was interesting. After I did a some reconnaissance laps with my wife:
Folembray Wet.png

I gradually upped the pace, learning to be gentle enough on the accelerator in the wet. I started to run at the same pace as the non GT Porsches and not much slower than the Mustang, until I lost the rear at relatively high speed in the downhill chicane n°4, overcorrected and did a 720° in the opposite sense, luckily without any cars close. So now I finally have a first-hand experience what snap-over steering is all about.

Later in the dry the high horsepower cars started to become much quicker. My friend I the Z350 had blast too, he was wise enough to start his first stint with a professional instructor. Later in the afternoon, I drove a stint behind him. I was quicker in the braking zones, the turns, and even the first part of the straights (because my exit speed was higher). The Z’s horsepower allowed him to move away on the second half of the straights.

With the new hp2 Brembo pads up front I left the brake proportioning on full (no pressure reduction in the rear, so 61%/39% F/R balance) and did not have any rear wheel lock-ups. No front lock-up either, but that is because I couldn’t bring myself to braking late enough. The Porsches GT3 and 4 started lighting-up their brake-lights at the 150m mark, I manage to improve during the afternoon to 75m, but not later. So the limit is my courage, not the X’s (new) brake system, yet.

My friend and I did have a scary moment together at the end, though. My friend slowed down for cooling but forgot to stay off the race line and turned-in at the entry of chicane n° 4 while I was passing him. I had to tighten the corner more to avoid contact, more than the available grip, which caused my second spin of the day. With the experience of the earlier event I did nothing but braking, while my friend who hadn’t seen me before, steered away. After my 360° we were side by side, both pointing in the correct direction. An experience richer, but one we will avoid in the future.
Folembray Z350.png

Attachments

• IMG-20240324-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240324-WA0001.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 12
Would have been really awkward to have collected both your cars and then need to bum a ride home for both of you! Glad it all worked out well.

My Fiat adventure over the weekend was stopping by TJ's shop and picking up his old 1300 and transmission (plus a bunch of additional parts). Since the inside of my engine looks like the outside of the Titanic, this will really help get the project going sooner. So much good - working carburetor, a non-siezed alternator, newer water pump and t-belt. Plus it is not stuck. Thanks TJ!

The 6 1/2 hour drive home in 4WD through blowing snow while cars and truck blew off the road was not fun. Ah, March on the northern plains!

Details on which fuel cell/tank that is? Looks great. Love the cutout idea.
The cell is a summit special, 11.2 gallons. Tall instead of flat and wide, less slosh area. The pic is a bit deceiving regarding the shape. Also consolidates the footprint (moment) almost along the front axle line, figure it might minimizes pendulum effect as well. Dumb guy math.

I've cut out the "punch plates'" in a couple X builds, also vented the hoods. Evacuates "lift" from under the nose of the car. Old trick. Same effect as adding weight to the frunk without actually doing so. Free downforce. Again, dumb guy math.

Last edited:
Took the X to the hardware store, then on the way home stopped for a Sonic Rout 44 tea for my wife. I have an old 80’s style cup holder that hangs on the window. You know where this is going. I hit a bump and tea went everywhere. So I got to clean the interior of the X. 🤣
I need to find a better coup holder.

Took the X to the hardware store, then on the way home stopped for a Sonic Rout 44 tea for my wife. I have an old 80’s style cup holder that hangs on the window. You know where this is going. I hit a bump and tea went everywhere. So I got to clean the interior of the X. 🤣
I need to find a better coup holder.
When I go to a CnC I put my huge coffee tumbler in one of the lower side pockets in the rear trunk and pack rags around it for support.

I have had the same luck as you with large drinks in the cabin. I have a blade style cup holder, but its too shallow to support anything other than a soda can.

Reactions: 86X
The cell is a summit special, 11.2 gallons. Tall instead of flat and wide, less slosh area. The pic is a bit deceiving regarding the shape. Also consolidates the footprint (moment) almost along the front axle line, figure it might minimizes pendulum effect as well. Dumb guy math.

I've cut out the "punch plates'" in a couple X builds, also vented the hoods. Evacuates "lift" from under the nose of the car. Old trick. Same effect as adding weight to the frunk without actually doing so. Free downforce. Again, dumb guy math.

So you'll never put your targa top in the front trunk again?

Back