What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Finally replaced my timing belt after it sheared off some teeth and brought my car to a halt.

Yes I am stupid for running it for so many years with an old belt. Started immediately, still need to verify exact ignition timing though it was close enough to run normally and rev as expected.

Rechecked timing. Checked for vacuum leaks, posted on honda forums as there is a miss at high rpms after vtec.
IMG_20180902_130317_528.jpg

Odie

well, Sad news for the new (to us) brown car. It died on the freeway. Tried jumping still would not turn over. Put in 4th gear and push and we could get the motor to turn over (a little) never really move. Pushed the car off the freeway with another car. Then swapped drivers and had the wife push start Me. did get it to run and someone wants to escape and a steady oil psi light. :pout:

Will have to pull the motor and see what came apart.

Yea with how it sounded and how tough it was to roll over by hand I am guessing a spun bearing. Got other projects to get to before I should open this can of worms up. (told the wife to pull the insurance on it) :pout: it was fun picking which x1/9 I was going to drive today.

7B501738-7BDA-4406-9385-89BD729B946C.jpeg

Hope the X1/20 is not too far a stretch for this thread.

I removed a very 70’s Blaupunkt 8-track player from my Scorpion’s console today and replaced it with what looks like a factory radio blanking plate that came with the car. Looks much better now! The script could use some cleaning up, but I don’t want to mess up the lettering.

Though I’m paying out the arse for my boy’s schooling, having him start kindergarten is giving me time for frivolous stuff like this. I now have time with no money instead of money but no time...

I’m hoping to have both money and time in times to come because I’ve promised my boy that we’ll be race car drivers some day. I’m gonna need all the time I’ve got before he’s of age to have a worthy car.

It sounds good though:

I drove my X1/9 under its own power for the first time since 10/30/1995. Drove it out of the stable it was sitting in since then, around the yard, and on to the driveway where I gave it a wash:

View attachment 15739
Huge props for taking good care of it while it was down and bringing it back which is not a fun project.

Looks great out in its element.

Back