What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

They should be chrome but a previous owner had them sprayed silver. At some point I’m going to strip the paint off and if necessary get them re-chromed.

I know it isn't "original", but I like the 'brushed' finish look on this style bumper. Chromed bumpers can be hand scrubbed with Scotch-Brite pads to give it a brushed finish (just need to be consistent and scrub in only one direction).

Perhaps a brushed finish?
Maybe a matt silver paint finish as used in Series 3 Alfa Spiders?

spider.JPG

Installed a fuel filter before the fuel pump because I don’t trust whatever is in the bottom of my gas tank since it sat for the past 10 years. Figured it would possibly save the fuel pump if some debri came through. Tomorrow I should be putting the reman alternator on and the new belts and finally start it up since I pulled it into the shop
65A83156-A741-431E-AAA2-397FF79AFCCE.jpeg

Installed a fuel filter before the fuel pump because I don’t trust whatever is in the bottom of my gas tank since it sat for the past 10 years. Figured it would possibly save the fuel pump if some debri came through. Tomorrow I should be putting the reman alternator on and the new belts and finally start it up since I pulled it into the shop View attachment 17741

I think your supply and return lines are reversed. The return on both of my cars is to the right side and the supply to the pump is on the left.

Eugine, I think you missed this:
FuelFilter.JPG

The filter is installed correctly.
Also, having a "pre-filter" before the pump is mandatory in my opinion. The in-tank pickup screens were not extremely effective when new, and most are completely gone by now.

The filter is installed correctly.

You're right, good pick up, I was just as fooled by Karl as the visual aspect is the opposite of almost all other inline filters where flow direction is from the 'bulb' end to the flat end where the physical filter is

FilterClear.JPG

Last edited:
You can see the hard return line in the background with the old cloth covered line coming off it to the tank.

I was thinking that the far line in this image should be the supply and the near one in the image that the filter is on now would be the return.

The filter is installed fine, no issue with that.

Last edited:
Ahh, now I get what you are seeing. So facing the tank (looking toward the nose of the car), the pick up line is attached to the nipple on the right, and the return to the one on the left. I think that's how my '85 FI tank is. I'll go look, it's sitting out of the car, and get back to you later.

Its a Christmas miracle!! After almost three years of sitting in various stages of disassembly and repair I turned the key and she started up!! She was hesitant at first failing to remain started for more than a few seconds. Then I let her sit for a few hrs came back, turned the key and varoom! she started right up. Sounded good and remained at a good smooth idle for a few mins as she came up to temp. Sprung a little leak in a coolant tube/hose interface but nothing a little torquing didn't solve. Very excited at this development as this has been a long time coming and couldn't have happened without the support of this forum!! Thanks to all and a happy new year!!

7CAEA273-9C0B-4471-A670-DBCF750DB60C.jpeg
Well it’s hard to tell from the picture but I’m pretty ecstatic that I’ve got it running again and now I have a functioning clutch and brakes as well. Fired right up after not being started for 10 months. Very excited to get it on the road and drive it for the first time

View attachment 18050 Well it’s hard to tell from the picture but I’m pretty ecstatic that I’ve got it running again and now I have a functioning clutch and brakes as well. Fired right up after not being started for 10 months. Very excited to get it on the road and drive it for the first time
I know how you feel! Just got mine started as well. Good luck and enjoy the ride!!

Back