What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Well, I got to pick up parts of my car off the freeway today.

Then change a single tire that failed when it ran over the detached front bumper chunks.

The Subaru wanted to push me out of my lane, they succeeded, for a little bit they were sideway's in front of me, they swapped end's and I managed to keep mostly pointed the same direction with a LOT of counters steering all at 60 mph on a very busy section of I-5.
I am a little surprised how little damage their rear 1/4 panel was with how much it did to my front fender.

IMG_2936.JPG

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2979.JPG
    IMG_2979.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2980.JPG
    IMG_2980.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2981.JPG
    IMG_2981.JPG
    413.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2982.JPG
    387.7 KB · Views: 79
Well, I got to pick up parts of my car off the freeway today.
Rod, that really sucks - sorry to hear it. Glad no one was injured. Sounds like you did some nice driving to avoid making things much worse. Hopefully the other car's insurance will fix your car?

Yea, I am still in the planning stages, maybe go get some estimates, etc, etc. But I would bet they will want to total it. I have zero interest in that.

As I have seen some advice. I should start collecting Bat auctions, and some of the other x1/9 prices we have talked about, and be ready for the fight.

I hope mine goes as well as the Rat X did.

Heck of a way to start out the summer. Sorry to hear about the car.....glad to hear you are OK. Even sitting next to a Subaru at a light, you realize just how small we are compared to everything else out there. I am amazed that you are alright. Well done on your "Damage control" driving to the median.

When our 81 was damaged in transit (Transporter was rear ended), the first indications seemed to be that they would total the car. We gave them the body shop estimate and they sent out an appraiser that had no idea what to do. He said that they would likely get listings from Auto Trader for a value. Instead, we provided MWB's "cars for sale" web page and, (per Matt's suggestion),Haggerty's "value" web page as references to email to the insurance company representing the truck driver that hit the transport. They sent one big check and two additional supplemental checks when requested. Our perception is that your best chance for a decent outcome is that you have to take a very active part in the process. Otherwise, the other parties involved may just steam roller over you. Besides, half these people don't even know what an X1/9 is. You are probably more knowledgeable about these cars than some of the insurance appraisers as some have never even seen one. Best of luck & patience is on your side.

Really sucks, if you don't have the parts in your stash let me know I may have them. I know I have headlight buckets, bumpers and bumper shocks. I might even have a fender we could cut a patch panel out of.

As I have seen some advice. I should start collecting Bat auctions, and some of the other x1/9 prices we have talked about, and be ready for the fight.
Absolutely. As others have said, you will not get anything unless you do the work for them. I once did a consulting job for the nation's largest automobile insurance company (back in my MBA days). I was shocked at how lazy and stupid the claim adjusters are. They just want to get your file off their desk as quickly and easily as possible. If you do the work for them before they have time to, then they will be happy to give you what you ask for and be done with it.

I have front bumpers if you need.

It still drove well after changing the tire and seat belting the bumper in the passenger side.

Of to get an estimate, and crash report to fill out at DMV.

I have a few parts car's will see what the shop thinks of fixing this fender or cutting/welding from a parts car.

Thank you for the offer of parts will see what happens and what I am short on.

If they insist on totaling it, ask the options to take a pay off and keep the car. Unfortunately that will change your title to a "Salvage" status, but at least you get the car (assuming you want it) and can repair it yourself.

I bought back a Bronco that was totaled and when they asked for the title I said no and kept it, I was driving the car daily. I figured they would cancel the title but they never did, I drove it for several more years until My son finished it off and it never had a salvage title.

Things may be a little different these days with DMV's being more automated. I guess also depending on what state you are in. But I've never trusted the DMV to do anything right.

Back