What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

I had something happen with a Dynasty that I had/have. I was backed into. insurance totaled it. And said nothing about branding the title and I got a nasty notice from DMV about it with their normal threatening to make the world end.

IMG_2986.JPG
Body shop noticed this damage that I had not noticed. Going to return on Tuesday at 8: am to talk more in depth.

IMG_2987.JPG
IMG_2988.JPG

Last edited:
Finally got my 1300 back on the road today. Got it all together yesterday but wasn’t happy with the clutch action despite copious amounts of bleeding, starting with the master cylinder union then the slave flexible hose and nipple last...so today looked at the slave and found it leaking slightly, luckily I had ordered a new one just in case so fitted it and adjusted the freeplay correctly, much better. Brakes and clutch are good, weather is good, the car is running good = life is good!

Replaced the clutch slave cylinder on my 1500 and changed the oil and filter on the 1300. Planning on a 300+ mile trip in the 1500 over the weekend so hoping it holds together!

X19
Took it out for a drive. Still running the semi stock tune.doesnt seem as quick as the honda it came out of, but reving it up to 8500 rpm so reminds me of the x engine!.
Alot of ratlles in i have to figure out. (Brakes? Struts dying?) Also sounds like the valves need adjusting.

Spider. Tried again to break the crank pully bolt loose. Used a rechargable impact. Doesnt have the umph. Going to break down and buy an air impact.

Odie

X19
Took it out for a drive. Still running the semi stock tune.doesnt seem as quick as the honda it came out of, but reving it up to 8500 rpm so reminds me of the x engine!.
Alot of ratlles in i have to figure out. (Brakes? Struts dying?) Also sounds like the valves need adjusting.

Spider. Tried again to break the crank pully bolt loose. Used a rechargable impact. Doesnt have the umph. Going to break down and buy an air impact.

Odie
The 110v HF impacts work well Odie. I use this model now and rarely bother to use my air impact.

Good to hear the X is running. :)

Bought my electric Porter Cable one from Menards! when it was on sale, it has worked well so far.

You might try the breaker bar trick of putting the end of the bar on the ground and turning the engine over.

You might try the breaker bar trick of putting the end of the bar on the ground and turning the engine over.
Would love to. But the cam belt is broke and dont want to mash valves. This is the one that has been sitting 20 years.

Odie

I have the Makita 1/2" impact, it works for most things, then I have the Earthquake 1/2"" air impact from HF, it's stronger than the Makita and if it doesn't do it I have a 1" drive air impact, so far it either takes the bolt off or breaks it off. If you were closer I'd bring it over but Michigan might be a bit of a drive...

I also have a plug-in (110V) electric impact, as well as a cordless one and a air driven one. For me air tools are often a bit of an inconvenience to set up and use. The cordless one works for regular stuff and is easy to lug around. And the 110V unit has worked well for everything heavy duty so far. They are not all the same however; look for the torque ratings to compare between brands and models...huge differences. But also huge price differences.
What I'd like to get now is an extremely compact sized 3/8" drive rechargeable impact, possibly even a ratchet style one, for everyday use...you know to be really lazy and not have to bother turning a wrench.

Not my X1/9... but a shot of my assembly bench this evening.

left to right, new Tipo head for 1300 128 coupe twin 40 DCNF 39.5/33.4 valves, new Tipo head for 1500 X1/9 single 40DCNF 39.5/33.4 valves, NOS 1300 Uno head for X1/9 1300 Alquati copy twin 36DCNF 37.5/33.4 valves, NOS 1300 Uno head for 128 Coupe 1300 single 40DCNF Alquati 37.5/33.4 valves.

20190601_231528.jpg

and my porting bench (I had a bit of a clean up today)

20190601_233515.jpg

left row front to back. 14 bolt 1500 euro carb head for 87 Bertone EFI ported for EFI 37.5/33.4 valves, 14 bolt euro carb head ported for EFI 39.5/33.4 valves (development head), M12 1300 euro head ported for EFI 37.5/33.4 valves (development head), New Tipo head for 1500 X1/9 twin 40DCNF Alquati copy 39.5 / 33.4 valves, Tipo head for 1600 race engine twin 44DCNF 39.5/33.4 valves.

middle row front to back. Used 1500 euro (reconditioned / complete) to be stripped and ported, Used 1100 euro (reconditioned / complete) to be stripped and ported,

Right row front to back. NOS Fiat 127 (903cc) head for 985cc big bore OHV Alquati 36DCD 30.5/27.5 valves, 3 x used heads for reconditioning.

and a shot of my "clean" work corner... about 15 sqm of my 100sqm work shed.

20190604_223632.jpg

SteveC

Last edited:
Completed 350 miles in the 1500 this weekend, car didn’t miss a beat. Learned the x really isn’t a freeway cruiser, it’s much better suited to the twisty back roads and highways. On the Freeway it’s far too noisy and you feel vulnerable due to the size and low power, you really have to plan ahead. All the same it was a hoot to drive.

Little and large!

SteveC[/QUOTE]

Hey Steve
You still in Oz?
I found my starter motor was dicky today. I have to have someone crank the key while I tap the solonoid to get it to work.
Not sure whether it could be rebuilt.

Back