What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

I decided to try going up a size in idle jets (50 -> 55) on the DCNFs. Seems like it might have a little more bottom end and smoother transition.

Now, I need to get the distributor advance curve back in order. The stock 74 distributor has almost 30 degrees of centrifugal advance. It also has 10 degrees of vacuum RETARD as part of the emissions system. Since I'm not using vacuum advance, 30 degrees is way too much. I had reduced it in the 80s to 10 - 15 degrees but my advance stop must have fallen off. I get full advance at ~3500 rpm. If I set that to ~30 - 32 degrees, the idle advance is near zero. This results in an occasional backfire when the butterflies close at low rpm. If I set the idle advance to 10 degrees, no backfire, but too much maximum advance (~40 degrees).

Been experimenting with different jetting on my 1300, on a test run it developed a misfire that got progressively worse and in the end the car wouldn’t idle. Thinking some crud had found its way in to the carb I took the top off and cleaned everything out including the jets. No change. The only other possibility was the points replacement unit I’d re-installed the other day....so the old points went back in and result, no misfire.

I suspect the unit is overheating or has a fault, I’ve used the heat compound as directed in the instructions and it runs fine when cold but after a few miles the misfire appears, looks like I’ll have to get a replacement.

Going back to points was interesting, there’s defiantly a bit more urge from the motor with the points replacement unit at the top end, the 1300 needs every HP it can get!

Barn find in my own garage :(

28253691-0229-4D35-AE8F-581017E0C260.jpeg
B5F98B10-8C3E-42A4-A8CE-2D826BAF54FF.jpeg

Sadly parked since 4 July 2000.

Last edited:
124 coupe with a Dino style front end? Lovely, why is it not on the road? :D

Yes it is a BC Coupe which had the 4 headlight treatment like the Dino Coupes.

It suffered a low speed accident with a run away X1/9 whose emergency brake didn’t hold it. It was the day we moved into our old house and I am now moving the car 19 years later now that we are moving out of that house. The X 5mph bumpers saved the X from damage, the rub strips on the side of the 124 Sport Coupe, not so much. Driver’s door and front fender were impacted pretty nicely along with partially folding the passenger side front wheel in.

Once I get it out of the garage completely I will take a picture of the total damage.

To say it was a bummer is a bit of an understatement. It was not an auspicious start to living in our new house to say the least.

I need to drain the gas tank and hope its not full of rust to hopefully drive it to its new storage spot.

Reactions: NEG
Barn find in my own garage :(

View attachment 25372 View attachment 25373

Sadly parked since 4 July 2000.
My X was suffering the same fate from 1995 until I started working on it the summer of 2017. Mine was not a barn find but a "stable find" as I had parked the car in a stable that a previous owner had built to house prize goats. I had to remove the partitions to make room for the car. As small as the X is, it is still much bigger than a goat.

Going back to points was interesting, there’s defiantly a bit more urge from the motor with the points replacement unit at the top end, the 1300 needs every HP it can get!
Jeff, why dont fit a marelli breakerless dizzy instead of these aftermarket pickup systems? i have one in my 1300 (marelli SE100CX), bought new last year for eu 100,00, it works really well

@Karl: love your 124, also like the slotted mags!

Replaced front brake lines with copper nickel tubing from SUR&R very easy to bend with your hands used hydraulic swager from mastercool definitely could have used an extra set of hands. It was a bit fiddly getting the tubing set right and locking down the die, after that it makes really nice flares. Did OE bubble flares at the master cylinder and 37deg at the wheel where I have installed 500turbo calipers.

I re-curved my Ducelier distributor today. Because of the emission controls, it had way too much centrifugal advance (~30 degrees), probably because it had to compensate for the 10 degrees of vacuum retard (removed). My target was to cut that down to ~20 degrees. This was achieved by replacing one of the springs with a solid link that limits the maximum travel of the advance mechanism. I'm now running ~10 degrees at 1,000 rpm and about 32 degrees above 3,500 rpm. Definitely pulls better in the lower rpm range where the timing had to be too far retarded before in order to keep the high rpms from being too far advanced.

I think it has been discussed before. Fiat 500 Abarth turbo calipers and base model 500 rotors. The Abarth calipers are really hard to find. The only modification is to drill out the hub for the bigger mounting bolts.

Back