What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

An old style filament light bulb under the car may be able to generate enough heat to keep moisture out. It’s an old trick that folks used to use for motorcycles stored under a tarp in a cold garage.

You might want to throw a cat under there with that light bulb.
If where you are at is anything like where I am at you have critters that love to homestead in things under tarps.
It doesn't take long for one to get established so check often.

On a lighter note took my X out for a fun ride and put it into a fish tail.

This weekend is what we call war eagle weekend.
There is an annual big Craft fair at a place called what else but War Eagle, and people come from hundreds of miles around to go to it.

Normally we stay at home during War Eagle but my wife read on her face book page about a pie shop having a grand opening.
The picture showed a sizable kitchen with lots of pies so we decided we would brave the traffic and go have a piece of pie.

It is usually an ok drive on the route we took but this weekend there were craft booths set up all over cashing in on the big show draw so there were a lot of people in cars pulling on and off the road looking for that perfect dust collector and not paying much attention to anything else.

We got to our destination to find a tiny lunch wagon type pink trailer sitting on the side of the road with some lawn chairs next to it.
We took one look and my wife said it she was going to get ptomaine she wanted to do it sitting at a proper table indoors out of the rain.

Did I mention it was raining?
It always rains on War Eagle weekend.
It was not a hard rain, more of a drizzle but enough to get the road good and wet.

Well we headed back toward home and on the main drag we came upon a minor traffic jamb with a bunch of bargain hunters trying to jockey their big SUV's around.
Got through that mess and then really wanted to get home.

There is this wonky intersection that is not really engineered for a left turn and in my haste to get home I might have hit it a bit to fast but there it was, next thing I knew the rear was coming up on my right and I was pointing at the line of cars on my left.

There is a place on a back road I like to take when making my almost daily run to the post office that has a particularly sharp turn that I can break the tire loose on dry pavement and on a wet day can really get it sideways.
I guess all that reckless driving payed off because almost with out thinking I turned the wheel into the slide and and got straightened out with a minimum of fuss.

Heading on down the road I said jokingly to my wife that was fun.
She said "tell that to the girl in the car that thought you was going to hit her, her eyes were like saucers, I think mine were too".
My wife was cool though as that wasn't her first rodeo with me.

We got home, backed the car in the garage hooked up the charger and shammied it down and when I came into the house my wife had the makings of a Cherry pie started.
end of story

I only had one critter incident, when that guy chewed through my ignition module wires. I now make sure the family cat walks around my car's interior every few weeks, leaving behind her scent. Nothing like a little natural pest control when they can sense the predators pheromones.

Sorry, had to start a new post. I couldn't get the old one to delete the preliminary pics. The rear bulkhead is now done, as is this spare tire cover. Fully soundproofed. I just need to create a little vinyl pulltab to pull the cover away from the bulkhead. I decided to hold it in with just Velcro and make it completely removable instead of hinging on the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 123
The rear bulkhead is now done, as is this spare tire cover.
That looks great. What materials did you use for the rear shelf, the edge trim across the top, and the face of the bulkhead/spare cover? I need to completely redo mine and eliminate unused speakers (rear shelf), and clean up the front face like yours. I will be using the spare tire well for the aftermarket-standalone ECU, turbo controls, fuse block, relays, etc, etc. And I want to ventilate it, maybe even add a fan (like for a computer case). So the cover (for that well) may have to be redesigned (different size/shape possibly), and attached differently. Velcro does sound best. Thanks for sharing any details on yours (maybe start a new thread in the "workshop" forum?). Or do you have another thread that discusses your interior?

Great car, please tell more about it.
Had 1.5 83' Alfasud for 13 years, just sold it last year and i miss it. Different kind of fun compare to the X. Used to buy parts from Peter in the UK, you probably know him.
Good thing about Israel - winter is a joke at most times, what makes it the best time to drive our oldies.

It’s a 1983 Series 3, 1350cc / 86bhp. Its probably the last surviving right hand drive 1.3 S3 in the uk. I bought it for my wife in 1989, she used it daily until about 1999 when I took it off the road to get a lot of bodywork done as it was rotting quite badly in places. I never quite got around to finishing it and it became garage bound and used as a storage shelf until 2015 when we eventually put it back on the road. Feels like a limousine after driving the X19s!

Thanks!
It's bigger but somehow lighter, and ofcource that brilliant engine and suspension setup.
had a lot of fun with her, including track days.
Happy you found your way to save it:)

Finally got around to putting in the new carpet. Since the seats have red inserts, I decided to go with red carpet. I like it but I think I need to redo the door panels in red.
IMG-0696.jpg
IMG-0695.jpg
IMG-0694.jpg

I agree with Dr. Jeff. Looks almost perfect - just a splash of red on those door panels will pull it all together. Even an early 1300 horizontal bar at the level of the door pull with black stitching... yum. Either way, looks nice.

I'm with darwoodious and the Doc, A red accent on the door. Possibly a red trim in the groove of the armrest.
I put a piece of chrome trim there on my mostly black interior and I think it looks pretty good with out being over kill.
Even with black cards the interior looks great.

Jeff,

Absolutely will do. I'm down to less than two weeks until the Best of France and Italy. I'm working like a madman until then.

Those pictures that Huey posted--- my panels are going to look very similar in finish, at least on 60% of the 'front' side. I too am lacking some creativity (OK, no creativity) when it comes to stripes, accents and other implements to make them look more 'fancy'. Any sketches or ideas? I'm open to all advice. My accents would be in the form of the body color, yellow.

My door panels are half vinyl (or leather, not sure) and half carpet. It's the carpet portion that I dislike.

Any sketches or ideas?
First, let me ask about the upcoming BFI show. I rarely get to go to it due to schedule conflicts with the SEMA show, but might be able to go this year. I don't recall about what time people start leaving the show, can you give me an idea of that?
EDIT: Just saw your post on the other thread, thanks.

About the color accents for interiors. There have been several excellent suggestions given by other members already. I do not consider myself to be artistic (autistic yes, but not artistic). So for something like this I tend to follow ideas that I like on other cars. I'm a huge fan of two-tone interiors. For me it would be two similar colors rather than a stark contrast, but that part is subjective. A great example of what I like was found on the BMW 750L models back in the 80's. It had a darker and lighter grey two-tone with some black areas. Here is a pic:
BMW 750 two tone.jpg

What I liked about it was not only the use of the colors, but how they were arranged overall; you can see something of a line separating the upper and lower halves of the dash that carries around to the doors, and then another line to separate the lower portion of the console and carpet. But that is a rather involved undertaking to make the whole interior follow such a pattern.

However a similar thought could be used for adding some accents to certain surfaces. For example on the door cards, the simplest design could have the contrasting color across the top or bottom portion - or both, something like this:
Inner1.JPG
images.jpg
images (1).jpg

More involved (as far as making it) might be a patterned inset:
images (2).jpg
tema-kvinnor-vid-ratten-1-743174.jpg
ricky's door.JPG

Given the X's "angular" styling, a diagonal stripe like others suggested would work (along the design of some stock X interiors):
20070.jpg
11-80010_450x450.jpg

In addition to the color, the type of material can also offer a contrast. Like using a suede or a patterned fabric for the inserts.
Actually adding any material to an existing cover is a bit difficult. The 'correct' way might be to completely remove the existing cover and cut/sew the new sections into it. But you could also use other simpler methods, like folding the edges under and gluing the piece over the existing cover.

OK, the late model 'angled stripe band' it is. It's really easy to do and it's relatively quick, as I'm running out of time. My materials costs so far have been absolutely trivial, as I've tried reusing and repurposing things. So I won't feel bad if I come up with something more interesting later and replace the cards currently under construction.

the late model 'angled stripe band' it is
Personally I'd prefer a narrower band of stripe than what the factory panels had. Maybe more like the other picture of the grey/black rear side panel (off some domestic car). In addition to just looking better in my opinion, it will also avoid getting too much of the red color that might overpower the look.

Engine got out today. According Haynes this is a 4 hours job, maybe true if everything is new and fresh. It took me 8 hours, but I've learned a lot so I will probably manage on time next time. Tomorrow I will pick the cam shaft, starter and flywheel from this engine. They are needed on the Uno Turbo engine that will replace the 1500. This is a good opportunity to cleanup and repaint the engine compartment.
upload_2019-10-25_20-21-1.png

Back