What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

I havent actually done anything today on the X BUT.... a honda forum friend just offered to sell me his turbo to put on the B in the X..... not sure it will fit without moving the fuel up to the frunk. and I think that the turbo is where the coolant lines run. but damn it would be fun!
turbo.png

Odie

Last edited:
Woke up the Lido for a blast today before storm Ciara hits the uk tomorrow, not driven it since November... why do x1/9s need to be driven to wake them up? Grumpy to get going and didn’t really come alive until I’d done 10 miles or so then it started to sing, zipping around to the red line and just being a huge amount of fun, brilliant, these cars are just so much fun.

Last Saturday Mike Eastep, Adam and I installed Wiper Relay and Power window relays on my 86. The sets were built by Jon Logan at Midwest 124. His price was amazing and very high quality relays were used. The only thing I need now is a distribution block with my headlight relays, BWM, Wiper and Power window relays my Positive post is covered LOL. Had a great time with the guys and learned a few things. I also took my drivers side door panel off to fix a loose curtesy light and rattling going on. All fixed and put back together better than before. No more Rattle! Future tasks adjust Led Headlights, new tires, and a tune up, replace fuel filter and air filter as well.

Brian

I am overhauling the AC/heater box on my X. I was removing the fans from the blower motor so I could oil the bushings and I noticed a red mark on the one of the fans. I assumed the factory put it there as an mark for balancing. Then I noticed a larger red mark on the other side. Touching one of the red marks I noticed that they were still wet. At this point I realized I was bleeding all over the fan assembly. Apparently I gouged my knuckle with a screwdriver. 20-30 years ago I would have noticed it from the pain, but at some point in my aging process the part of my nervous system that registers pain has been dialed back. It's probably a good thing.

I am overhauling the AC/heater box on my X. I was removing the fans from the blower motor so I could oil the bushings and I noticed a red mark on the one of the fans. I assumed the factory put it there as an mark for balancing. Then I noticed a larger red mark on the other side. Touching one of the red marks I noticed that they were still wet. At this point I realized I was bleeding all over the fan assembly. Apparently I gouged my knuckle with a screwdriver. 20-30 years ago I would have noticed it from the pain, but at some point in my aging process the part of my nervous system that registers pain has been dialed back. It's probably a good thing.

Happens to me, too. Invariably, I'm looking at the car going, what the hell is that red stuff, and where did it come from? Particularly if the source is on my arm or someplace with fewer nerve endings. My hands are still somewhat sensitive.

Reminds me of a first date I had with a lovely young lady several years ago. At some point over dinner she asked, "why are your hands all scarred up?"

Several months ago rescued an X1/9 that had sat in a garage for 30yrs. Not sure what I was going to do with it, but then somebody wanted one to turn into a rally car and so yesterday its new owner collected it to begin its journey to competition glory. I put the guy onto this forum as he is looking for advice for doing a Honda engine swap.

Attachments

• IMG_20200228_090931.jpg
    IMG_20200228_090931.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 111
Been working on tuning my fuel injected X. I have been scouring old threads and finding some great info. Finally getting good at the search feature. I have a basically stock motor with a Euro cam. Installed adjustable cam gear last week set at 2.5 degrees advance. Had to reset idle but what a difference throughout the rpm range much smoother.
20200217_154205_Burst01.jpg
20200217_145630.jpg

Then I worked on the AFM. Found a post from Matt Midwest Bayless. He suggested loosening the spring tension by rotating the wheel counter clockwise. I set it at 10 clicks looser. Setting it by ear with engine running and pushing the AFM flap in by hand untill you hear the engine running smooth. So when I took it to the ten clicks then working the flap by hand it got a little smoother then starts to stumble. Kind of like setting carbs by ear with the fuel air mixture screws. This enriches the mixture. Seems to me these cars were set lean from factory. Possibly to meet emisions. I must say what an improvement much more torque from idle all the way to redline.

This weekend John and I worked on cleaning up metal, making templates for fill pieces, and planning and mocking up the exhaust system for the 74 K20 conversion we are working on right now.

Car is going on BAT soon

That is unfortunate. Sorry to hear that will be happening. I hope there is something else of interest in your future.

You might consider still putting the back on the alternator despite the wrapping of the hot items around it.

Beyond that it looks fabulous!

That is unfortunate. Sorry to hear that will be happening. I hope there is something else of interest in your future.

You might consider still putting the back on the alternator despite the wrapping of the hot items around it.

Beyond that it looks fabulous!

Thanks Karl.
Gonna put all the shields back on. Just blasted and painted them all. As for selling Talia,time to do the next one. I have a barn full of X parts and my son's '77 just waiting. He left for the Marines and is cool with me working on his car while gone (especially since I would be using a ton of my speedy parts and taking all the smog crap off).
As for my next car, A plain 'ol X with nice wheels and minimal fussing is what i'll look for. Preferably a 74..we'll see. Take care, Pal.

Back