What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Drove the .6 mile to my mail box. Rural boxes to the right.
View attachment 30434
walked back in the woods left of the rear of my car a little ways and took a picture of the south facing overlook toward my property.
Unfortunately I don't own the over look.
My forty is left of the green meadow about half mile away from where I was standing.
View attachment 30433
After the picture and checking the mail I took a short drive, about 6 miles round trip toward town.
Beautiful day, car was rearing to go but under the circumstances it just didn't feel right.
My place is fairly isolated, the Redbuds are blooming and I normally stay home happy to be there but just knowing that the world outside is in dire straights makes it hard to completely enjoy the day.
Hope all of you are doing well as I am wishing the best for everyone.
Yes strange times indeed. This will pass, unfortunately it’s going to take much longer than any of us expected.

Fixed a coolant leak from the header tank bottom hose due to a bad hose clamp. Aligned the front bumpers, not perfect but better than they where before hand and touched in a stone chip on the front of the car

Finished the steering wheel today
IMG_20200408_141123.jpg

Sorry, I didn't mean the spokes. I am wondering what you used the get the nice black finish in the grip portion? Thanks
Ahhhh, actually that's original. I just wiped I'd down with a little bit of furniture polish. The actual wheel was in great condition, bought it off Daniel. I just wanted to change the spokes from black to chrome.

Last week I was finally able to get insurance on my X (can't get classic car insurance since I'm only 20) and I've been driving it all over the place. Now I can take it to all of my favorite spots for my car photography. It's been almost three years since I got this car and all the time and hard work has finally paid off
DSC09240-2.jpg

The snow has continued to fall. With any luck I can unwrap it this weekend.

Replacing the coolant, flushing the system and likely pulling the heater core to clean it will be my first jobs of the season.

The first one was too heavy with the rib method. This one was cut from styrofoam and will use epoxy and fiberglass
Very interesting so please let us now your progress. I noticed the threaded steel rods. Do they go trough the whole wing and also used for mounts?
How did you shape that big piece of styrofoam?

Very interesting so please let us now your progress. I noticed the threaded steel rods. Do they go trough the whole wing and also used for mounts?
How did you shape that big piece of styrofoam?
The rods go all the way through. They are aluminum that i threaded the ends. They are also through the mounts. Might not have needed them but they also hold the 3 pieces straight while i glass. Hopefully i can start that tomorrow. After trying a few times with hot wire and getting it "ok". I decided to just order them from a guy online that does rc wings. Wasnt the cheapest route, but they are perfect.

Odie

Finally unwrapped the X and the Miata. Drove them both on a short loop. Still prefer the driving experience of the X, the engine in particular. Not the power, but the delivery of the power.

Time to start in on some base maintenance tasks: drain and flush the coolant system, change the coolant hoses and the heater valve (with an OE unit).

The other thing is to replace the pressure hoses leading to and from the fuel rail, they are the hose recalled by MWB, if you bought some be sure to inspect yours before you start driving. They were replaced two years ago and look worse by far than the OE ones on the fuel rail itself (also on the list).

Get to stop driving the penalty box (Honda Element) as my daily! Yippee! I can also start delving into the suspension ailments on that car.

like it yes, even with the first prototype thrown away I am into this one at $350. I am also going with that look, but it is going to be 56" wide rather than that ones just as wide as the trunk. Which I realize is what the original was, but I am not really going for original :)

there is also a bunch of fun in doing things yourself. i have been out of working with fiberglass since the mini truck craze in the late 80's. kinda fun playing again.

Odie

I'm noticing a bit of a come back for mini trucks. And I don't mean newer small trucks, but the ones from the 70's and 80's. :)
I worked for hottops. We did convertable kits. My cousin designed all the ground effects and i worked with him. He went on from there to do the 240z velo rossa gto kit designing the first convertable kit for it
Fun times.

Odie

Back