What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

I worked for hottops. We did convertable kits. My cousin designed all the ground effects and i worked with him. He went on from there to do the 240z velo rossa gto kit designing the first convertable kit for it
Lots of great memories. :)

Good progress on the swap. Cooling system is done. Figured I’d mount the refurbished rear light assemblies. Rear control arms done.

Attachments

• BADA69B0-A4D5-41F3-AC34-1001CE84B774.jpeg
    BADA69B0-A4D5-41F3-AC34-1001CE84B774.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 595663F7-1EC2-4D38-B8A3-F2BC3830FB7D.jpeg
    595663F7-1EC2-4D38-B8A3-F2BC3830FB7D.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 162
I worked for hottops. We did convertable kits. My cousin designed all the ground effects and i worked with him. He went on from there to do the 240z velo rossa gto kit designing the first convertable kit for it
Fun times.

Odie
That was a nice looking kit, nice work by you guys.

It is the one with a coolant level sensor VW started using on the A4 series Golfs in 1998
I believe it is, looks like it has the little extension for that. The earlier style without that sensor was getting difficult to find a couple of years ago. But I haven't looked since, so it may be back again. Very affordable little bottles but in some cases the bulbar shape can be an obstacle to fit. Looks cool though.

Helped my neighbor to drive a quite interesting car that will go on an auction. He got some good photos and a short movie. I always liked the look of the first gen Opel GT but I never got a chance to drive one until now, and of course I couldn't resist comparing the "poor man's Corvette" with my X. Dispite the low weight and small size the Opel feels clumpsy and heavy. The low revving injected 2.2l I4 has a lot of torque but is far from sporty. Handling is mediocre, I expected more from this car as it had an upgraded suspension, wide rims and tyres. It would have been fun to take it to the track, together with the X. I am sure the X would have embarrassed it.
But I must admit I think it is beautiful. Reservation price is 110k SEK (11000 USD). A X1/9 in the same condition would cost like 70-80k SEK in Sweden.
IMG_20200501_121244.jpg
IMG_20200501_121219.jpg

Helped my neighbor to drive a quite interesting car that will go on an auction. He got some good photos and a short movie. I always liked the look of the first gen Opel GT but I never got a chance to drive one until now, and of course I couldn't resist comparing the "poor man's Corvette" with my X. Dispite the low weight and small size the Opel feels clumpsy and heavy. The low revving injected 2.2l I4 has a lot of torque but is far from sporty. Handling is mediocre, I expected more from this car as it had an upgraded suspension, wide rims and tyres. It would have been fun to take it to the track, together with the X. I am sure the X would have embarrassed it.
But I must admit I think it is beautiful. Reservation price is 110k SEK (11000 USD). A X1/9 in the same condition would cost like 70-80k SEK in Sweden.
View attachment 31610 View attachment 31611
Always loved the styling of these. This looks like a very well cared for specimen.

Made me a smiley face shifter ball. I live near the worlds largest truck stop and they have all kinds of shifter balls, the problem is they are ½ inch there aren’t any adapter for that combination because the minor diameter is too close to 10mm. So I could go the cheap route or the expensive route, time sert. I chose the cheap way and filled the ball cavity with jb weld then stuck a waxed 10mm bolt down the hole. Took a couple of wacks with the impact for it to release, but happy so far.

Attachments

• 8ECD90BF-5635-42C3-8F64-1A931B228C01.jpeg
    8ECD90BF-5635-42C3-8F64-1A931B228C01.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 65EEEF78-605D-4AF2-AA00-71AEB9CEC642.jpeg
    65EEEF78-605D-4AF2-AA00-71AEB9CEC642.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 88
first gen Opel GT
I was a big fan of Opals from that era and owned several, including a GT. They are very heavy and the engines are certainly not what I'd call high performance. However they were among the most reliable and dependable cars I've ever owned. And they were very comfortable and easy to drive, even if not especially spirited. For all of these reasons, they are more what I'd consider a daily driver than a X1/9. Which to me a DD is a very different thing than a fun "sports car". A purpose for every car, and a car for every purpose.

Looks like a real aircraft control stick, from the button ferrules and the "chaff" label on the bottom one; it should have a red trigger on the front. The covered switches and round twist-to-open vents are aircraft, too

Came out of a late 60's Huey, given to me by a crew chief. Used it in several builds. That stick was used in just about every miltary fighter and helo from the early 60's thru the mid 80's. The switches used to work...had high beams and horn hooked up in my '82 Spider. Looks better in the X though. The car is a cartoon joke as it is, the stick is just the cherry on top.

Here's a Mustang, where they went way overboard on the aircraft look.

Attachments

• IMG_3066.jpeg
    IMG_3066.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 127
Back